iMessage dropping to text but only at home on WiFi?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Torinate

Bronze
Sep 19, 2009
What could this be?

My wife's 4S will send messages at text when she is at home on our wifi. When she is out, perfect iMessages.

This was happening on 5.1 and now on IOS 6.

Anyone know what it could be?

Thanks!

Torinate
image.jpg

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
Has this happened to anyone else? Any ideas?

Thanks!
Yes, this has happened to me when I am out. The reason being the connection is not the great where I go on my college campus, as well as other places around the areas that I drive to.

Most likely it's due to the connection barriers when your wife is at home.

OK after re-reading your post, your wife's texts will not send as iMessage when she is at home on Wifi? Has she tried to turn Wifi off and see if that's better? Sometimes with me that is the case.

ITS ME DAVID

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 8, 2010
L.A C.A
Have her disable iMessage and FaceTime then Dona network reset under settings them Do a hard reset after the phone comes back from the reset then enable FaceTime and iMessage see if that helps.

Girdler

Contributor
Bronze
Aug 1, 2012
Torinate
Go to Settings > Messages > Send as SMS and turn it off. Then, see if you are able to send an iMessage over your home WiFi. Keep in mind, it may take a second to send, but it won't automatically revert to SMS if it takes more than 30 seconds to send. If that doesn't work, let me know and I'll see what else I can come up with for you.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
I can't believe we are on iOS 6 now and the issue of a connected, but Internet-less, wifi connections still exists.

So, with a perfectly good 3G signal that could be used instead, the iPhone clings to an unusable wifi connection, rendering apps that need internet access crippled. Why? That is crazy.

On both OS X and Windows internet access is verified in order for the connection to be considered OK. On OS X it will not display a working wifi icon in the menu bar. Instead it clearly indicates there is a problem (yet it is connected--just no internet). And if you had both ethernet and wifi connections it would then use ethernet instead. So would windows. Why doesn't iOS switch to 3G when wifi is connected, but without internet access?

There are plenty of times this can happen, and it is not always a bad WiFi network. Heck it happens to me just walking past a Starbucks. I go to send an iMessage and--oops--it doesn't work because the wifi network needed me to click agree. It ticks me off that iOS gave up the 3G connection that was working fine in favor of a wifi connection that does not. It shouldn't switch till it verifies there is net access, in my not so humble opinion.

Anyway, this thread hit a nerve as last night my internet provider at home was doing an upgrade overnight. So my home internet was down, but not my home wifi. The iPhone stayed on that useless wifi connection all night. Meanwhile my girlfriend was trying to send me iMessages and they were all being sent as text. She was wondering what the heck was going on--and on top of that she hates when it "turns green" lol.

Michael