iMessage linked to email on iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ledsteplin, May 1, 2014.

1. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Long story, so in short, my sister has not been using iMessage. She had Verizon block messages and preferred to use Facebook Messenger. So then AOL has a security breach and she tries to change her AOL password. So they send her a code to SMS, which was blocked. So she removes the block. I tell her Verizon does not charge for iMessage text. She has no text plan. So I go to send her an iMessage and it's green. She said it was turned on. So then I see that it's tied to her email address, rather than her phone number. Everything looks correct in send and receive. What does she need to do to get iMessage on her phone number? Does she need to sign out of iMessage, then sign back in? If so, in what way? Thanks!

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Settings > Messages > Send & Receive > Add her phone number

3. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Her number is there. It shows her Apple ID at top. Then her number under "You can be reached...". Then her email below that. Both number and email are checked. Then down where it says "Start New...", it shows her number and email below the number. The number is checked, but not the email.

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

She could try toggling it off and back on to activate it again, but once iMessages is activated, she just needs to give it some time. Sometimes it doesn't immediately start working after it's activated or stop working after it's deactivated.

5. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

She toggled it off and back on but didn't mention any activation option. Never mind, I see what it does with activation. She may just need to uncheck the email address under the number below "You Can Be Reached...". Mine are all checked.

#5 Ledsteplin, May 1, 2014
    Last edited: May 1, 2014
  6. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

Fixed. She signed out of iMessage, then signed back in. That fixed it. :)