iMessage not recognizing other iMessage users?

Discussion in 'iOS Software' started by Smokey, Oct 13, 2011.

1. Smokey

Smokey Member
    Bronze

My girlfriend and I both have imessage enabled..however, when I go to type her name in the contact name field..the little blue bubble doesn't appear..I honestly have NO idea how to use this thing? I've googled the subject and everything..help?

2. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

The native Messages app should automatically recognize that the recipient device is on iOS 5.

Have you enabled iMessages? Settings-Messages-iMessages-Toggle On.

When you go to send a message it will either say Message or iMessage.

3. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

did you go to settings-Messages->Receive at, and add in the addresses you want to be reached at? Otherwise it'll just use your phone number.

4. Smokey

Smokey Member
    Bronze

I've got it on..and I've got a cell # and an email..but when I go to text her it looks the same as before

5. Smokey

Smokey Member
    Bronze

6. Smokey

Smokey Member
    Bronze

okay an update..my phone recognizes my father in laws iPhone as iMessage compatible..but still not my girls..our setting as far as iMessage are identical..I went into her account and it had my first and last name and I changed it to her info (in IMessage settings..I'm thinking this is possibly because my name is the one on the AT&T plan?) but nothing is working. I can't message her on iMessage!

7. Smokey

Smokey Member
    Bronze

anybody?

8. Jmbaker429

Jmbaker429 Evangelist
    Gold

is imessage a separate app from the regular msg app or is it all in one and just recognizes if the other user is an imsg user and doesn't use deduct your texts? wasn't sure if you had to go to a separate app just to use the free one. if thats the case i wont use it since i get unlim texts anyways. just curious.

9. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

It's all built into the standard messages app.

10. Smokey

Smokey Member
    Bronze

yes it's built into the regular message app. also, she has her own Apple ID. so this really makes no sense to me! and Apple won't even give me help since I don't have their care plan. wtf? whatever..I'll have it once I have my 4s tomorrow..but this is ridiculous that this isn't working!

11. |3are

|3are Member
    Silver

Any update, Smokey? I'm having the same issue getting iMessage to work. I've had a hard time finding someone to test it out with, but finally a buddy went out and got an iPhone this weekend. I have sent a few texts to him before, so I have the conversation with him in Messages already. I even went so far as to turn "Send as SMS" OFF and sent him a message, yet everything is still green and under the "Text Message" section, so I think it sent it as an SMS even though I turned that off. WTFUX

12. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

That switch only enables automatically falling back to SMS if it starts as iMessage but fails. If it never detects iMessage in the first place it will send as an SMS regardless.

So far I haven't had a problem with detecting people who are on iMessage, but I've been activated on it for a while, so maybe it's some intermittent server backlog.

Do you have any better luck with iMessage detection if you send it specifically to an email address that your contact has registered?

Try it with me, im@ifury.net

13. Smokey

Smokey Member
    Bronze

sorry for not posting sooner! now it seems to be working flawlessly! Dunno what the deal was