iMessage on, but using a BlackBerry Passport, too

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

ivantwilliams

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 14, 2009
I'm curious more than anything else.

I have an iPhone 6 Plus with iMessage on. From day to day (literally) I switch back and forth to my BlackBerry Passport (please don't ask why; if you know my ID then you already know why) and obviously I then don't have access to iMessage.

If the sender has the option on to "Send if iMessage is unavailable", should I still receive an SMS text message?

Thanks in advance
Ivan

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
You're going to open up that can of iMessage works, aren't you? I'm guessing you are getting those messages, but they are coming through iMessage? Once an iMessage conversation as started (two willing iOS participants), there is no way for the sender to know that you're not carrying your iPhone 6.

In theory, you should be able to toggle iMessage off and messages should automagically convert to SMS, once Apple's servers detect that you've disabled it. There was a fair amount of drama a few months back regarding Android users who switched platforms and didn't get messages for weeks. It's always been an issue, but this time someone filed a lawsuit. Shortly after that, Apple promised a fix. They've also got a webpage up to help.

For someone like yourself who switches regularly, I wouldn't be so sure that you're going to get messages when jumping platforms. At least, as long as you're still using iMessage with any regularity.

If iMessage had a slogan, it would be, "You can quit me baby."

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I recommend disabling iMessages until you can commit to iOS for a good length of time. It's too much of a hassle to constantly enable and disable iMessages, in my opinion. That way you'll have seamless continuity with messaging and not have to worry if non-iOS users are receiving your messages.