iMessage on two iPhone 3GS

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

jab123

Dec 20, 2012
both my wife and myself have 3gs iPhones both using 1 Apple id but sync'd to different pc's we can both send imessages to other iPhones but my wife gets a copy of all my messages sent and the replies but we can't send imessages to each other. in the settings her phone number is greyed out so it cannot be selected the other options available are my phone number and both our email address's. does anyone have any ideas on how to sort this?

MrMike6by9

Evangelist
Gold
Nov 16, 2008
Maryland, USA
Why do you have the same Apple ID if you're using different computers for synching? With individual IDs you can iMessage each other or others but would not receive the same messages unless sent to you as a group message. In addition, you'd have twice the iCloud storage.
YMMV

jab123

Dec 20, 2012
thanks for the reply i am fairly new to iTunes as both phones have different setups i thought it would be easier that way. if we had 2 ids could i transfer app purchases between the 2 ids?

Lon

Evangelist
Gold
Jun 5, 2010
Alaska
thanks for the reply i am fairly new to iTunes as both phones have different setups i thought it would be easier that way. if we had 2 ids could i transfer app purchases between the 2 ids?
Distinguish between your Apple ID for purposes of buying from iTunes, and your iCloud ID, for messaging, storage, backup etc. You can share your Apple ID. But you should setup your phones with individual iCloud ID's. Go to iCloud and create your own separate ID's and set them up on each phone. This will resolve your current issues.