iMessage outage?

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by JWB, Oct 1, 2013.

1. JWB

JWB Member
    Bronze

Anyone else having problems with iMessage today? Not working here

Sent using iCafe app on iPhone 5

2. Santa

Santa Evangelist
    Gold

Wow. Didn't know Apple was run by the Feds.

Seems to be working for me.

3. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

None here.

4. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

Earlier today, most of the morning up until around 1-2pm it wasn't working here in my area of Florida. Appears to be working ok now though. Last day or two it's been spotty until the early afternoon here.

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

There are no current iMessages outages. You can check the status here:
    http://www.apple.com/support/systemstatus/

There is a problem with iMessages on 7.0 that is resulting in some users having to restore.

6. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

A friend of mine, my advisor at my college that I attend, was having issues receiving messages yesterday and last night. I then was trying to text her late last night and it was not showing up as iMessage. She told me this morning that she turned off iMessage in order to receive and send text messages.

Sent using iCafe app

7. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

In case people didn't know, if you're sending an iMessage and it's not going through and you want to make sure it sends, press and hold on the text and it will give you the option to send as a regular text. Sometimes if you just hit send and minimize or close it, it won't send at all.

8. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

9. jmp316

jmp316 Evangelist
    Gold

My wife and I had a few problems a few days ago. Reset and all better.

10. chris

chris Administrator
    Administrator

Apple released an official statement tonight to the Wall Street Journal. The iMessage problems will be fixed with an upcoming software update. They've been testing 7.0.3, so I suspect we'll see that rather quickly.

Hmmm... only a fraction of a percent.

#10 chris, Oct 2, 2013
    Last edited: May 26, 2015
  11. PinkBanana

PinkBanana Zealot
    Gold

I had trouble with it on saturday. my brother had to message my using facebook. then i had problems yesterday. It's fine now though.

12. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You can restore to fix this or there is a temporary fix while we're waiting for a software update. However, this might only last a few hours before it stops working again.

1. Disable iMessage in Settings > Messages.
    2. Reset the iPhone's Network Settings under Settings > General > Reset.
    3. Reenable iMessage.

13. Nrevezzo

Nrevezzo Member
    Bronze

If you're having a problem maybe you should just shut off iMessage until a fix is supplied. Then all your messages should go through your carrier. Of course this also depends on what text plan you have. My text plan is unlimited with AT&T so it won't cost me anything additional.

14. dmoskaluk

dmoskaluk Contributor
    Bronze

It seemed to be ok at about 1600 EDT in the Hamilton/Burlington area Ontario Canada ..... At least on iOS 6. ......

Sent using iCafe app

15. djwindsor

djwindsor Contributor
    Silver

I've had a few hiccups. Resetting network settings is something I want to avoid because I have so many WIFI passwords saved. I merely rebooted and iMessage worked fine.

Sent using iCafe app

16. Jaccks

Jaccks Member
    Bronze

I rebooted as well and it worked for a few hours and quit again. I then tried to restore and it also worked for a bit and then stopped. Hopefully the update will be out soon.

Sent using iCafe app

17. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Apple has acknowledged the problem is working on the patch. I imagine it will be available within the next few days. I would just use text messages until then.

18. rgomez

rgomez Member
    Bronze

Yup. My iMessage problems started on Tuesday. Messages were stuck in the process of being sent, and I didn't realize it until an hour or so after the fact.

Did anyone have this issue with any of the iOS 7 Betas?

Also, is anyone having problems loading earlier iMessages? I'm unable to load anything beyond yesterday's iMessages for some of my contacts. Weird.

19. rugved1118

rugved1118 Member
    Silver

Hey there... I dunno the overall concept of imessage. How does it work exactly ? Okay lemme tell u i have ip5 and ipad2 with 3g...

Sent using iCafe app

20. rgomez

rgomez Member
    Bronze

It is just a way to send messages to other Apple devices free of charge. All you have to do is go to settings, messages, turn on iMessages.

To know if it is working, messages between idevices should show up in a blue bubble.

Be forewarned that iMessages has had a few issues, like the one discussed here, but you always have the option of sending messages as regular texts when iMessage is not working.