iMessage outage?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

JWB

Bronze
Nov 8, 2011
Anyone else having problems with iMessage today? Not working here

Sent using iCafe app on iPhone 5

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
Anyone else having problems with iMessage today? Not working here
Sent using iCafe app on iPhone 5
Earlier today, most of the morning up until around 1-2pm it wasn't working here in my area of Florida. Appears to be working ok now though. Last day or two it's been spotty until the early afternoon here.

Dec 15, 2008
Pensacola, FL
A friend of mine, my advisor at my college that I attend, was having issues receiving messages yesterday and last night. I then was trying to text her late last night and it was not showing up as iMessage. She told me this morning that she turned off iMessage in order to receive and send text messages.

Sent using iCafe app

RoofMonkey

Genius
Gold
Jun 21, 2010
Florida
In case people didn't know, if you're sending an iMessage and it's not going through and you want to make sure it sends, press and hold on the text and it will give you the option to send as a regular text. Sometimes if you just hit send and minimize or close it, it won't send at all.

chris

Administrator
Administrator
Jun 10, 2006
Long Island, NY
Apple released an official statement tonight to the Wall Street Journal. The iMessage problems will be fixed with an upcoming software update. They've been testing 7.0.3, so I suspect we'll see that rather quickly.

“We are aware of an issue that affects a fraction of a percent of our iMessage users, and we will have a fix available in an upcoming software update.”
Hmmm... only a fraction of a percent.

Last edited:

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
You can restore to fix this or there is a temporary fix while we're waiting for a software update. However, this might only last a few hours before it stops working again.

1. Disable iMessage in Settings > Messages.
2. Reset the iPhone's Network Settings under Settings > General > Reset.
3. Reenable iMessage.

Nrevezzo

Bronze
Apr 15, 2009
Canton, Mi
If you're having a problem maybe you should just shut off iMessage until a fix is supplied. Then all your messages should go through your carrier. Of course this also depends on what text plan you have. My text plan is unlimited with AT&T so it won't cost me anything additional.

djwindsor

Contributor
Silver
Jul 7, 2009
Neponsit, NY
I've had a few hiccups. Resetting network settings is something I want to avoid because I have so many WIFI passwords saved. I merely rebooted and iMessage worked fine.

Sent using iCafe app

Jaccks

Bronze
Mar 30, 2011
I rebooted as well and it worked for a few hours and quit again. I then tried to restore and it also worked for a bit and then stopped. Hopefully the update will be out soon.

Sent using iCafe app

Europa

Senior Moderator
Dec 12, 2008
Utah
I rebooted as well and it worked for a few hours and quit again. I then tried to restore and it also worked for a bit and then stopped. Hopefully the update will be out soon.
Apple has acknowledged the problem is working on the patch. I imagine it will be available within the next few days. I would just use text messages until then.

rgomez

Bronze
Aug 5, 2010
Yup. My iMessage problems started on Tuesday. Messages were stuck in the process of being sent, and I didn't realize it until an hour or so after the fact.

Did anyone have this issue with any of the iOS 7 Betas?

Also, is anyone having problems loading earlier iMessages? I'm unable to load anything beyond yesterday's iMessages for some of my contacts. Weird.

rugved1118

Silver
Sep 27, 2013
Hey there... I dunno the overall concept of imessage. How does it work exactly ? Okay lemme tell u i have ip5 and ipad2 with 3g...

Sent using iCafe app

rgomez

Bronze
Aug 5, 2010
Hey there... I dunno the overall concept of imessage. How does it work exactly ? Okay lemme tell u I have ip5 and ipad2 with 3g...
It is just a way to send messages to other Apple devices free of charge. All you have to do is go to settings, messages, turn on iMessages.

To know if it is working, messages between idevices should show up in a blue bubble.

Be forewarned that iMessages has had a few issues, like the one discussed here, but you always have the option of sending messages as regular texts when iMessage is not working.