iMessage problem

Nov 12, 2011
I noticed since having my 4S replaced with a new one when I am using iMessage it's not showing me if the message was read or not when it clearly was and responded to, just says delivered, is there a fix for this?

rambo47

Contributor
Silver
Apr 4, 2010
Northern NJ
The other person has to have "send read receipts" turned on in their Messages preferences. It's off by default.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
One Horse Town, New Jersey
All my iMessage messages say delivered. I never saw them say read that I can remember. Was this actually a function? Do you have pictures?

Oh wait, maybe if it did, ad I don't remember if it did or not, then maybe with the iOS 5.0.1 update they took that away.

Nov 12, 2011
Yeah before I upgraded to 5.0.1 it always showed if it was read and if they were replying back, now nothing

rambo47

Contributor
Silver
Apr 4, 2010
Northern NJ
Looks like the OS update took away some options. Right under "iMessages - ON" was a field for "Send Read Receipts". I'm still on the original 5.0 version as my battery life has been great and there is nothing in the update I need.

It would be odd if Apple removed this feature completely. iMessage was billed as a direct competitor to BlackBerry's PIN messaging. PIN messaging has delivery and read confirms as cornerstones of the service.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
Looks like the OS update took away some options. Right under "iMessages - ON" was a field for "Send Read Receipts". I'm still on the original 5.0 version as my battery life has been great and there is nothing in the update I need.

It would be odd if Apple removed this feature completely. iMessage was billed as a direct competitor to BlackBerry's PIN messaging. PIN messaging has delivery and read confirms as cornerstones of the service.
I knew it had to have been missing. Oh well, maybe they took it out or left it out in the rush to get the update out. In the next update they'll put it back.

Do you have or can you provide a pic of where this option is located in 5.0? I'll forward this to the contact I have in Tech at Apple who is helping me with my Battery problem. I'll ask him if it was intentionally left out or if it was mistakenly taken out and if it will be back in the next update. I'll do this because he told me he was working with the crew who are working on the updates for iOS 5 battery problems. So he can send this their way unless it was decided to be taken out. I'll try to find out.

Docd

Contributor
Silver
Oct 16, 2011
I still have the option under settings/message and I'm using 5.0.1.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
I still have the option under settings/message and I'm using 5.0.1.
Hey Docd! Love that Avitar. I hope your patients don't look like that after treatment. (I know lame joke! :cautious: Couldn't help it though.)

'Um okay IDK why it's not showing up for some folks then. I will definitely bring this up to the tech.

Thanks for letting us know.

Docd

Contributor
Silver
Oct 16, 2011
Thanks and your welcome. Don't have patients just kind of the way I feel when dealing with some people at work.
Good luck with the problem.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
Thanks and your welcome. Don't have patients just kind of the way I feel when dealing with some people at work.
Good luck with the problem.
WOW! Interesting, that's how I felt yesterday dealing with my phone problems and how I feel at work as well. I totally get it now. Appropriate Avitar!

FlwrPwer

Evangelist
Gold
Aug 7, 2008
Montgomery, NY
I have it on my iPhone and I'm running 5.0.1. I actually just turned it on. Didn't know it even existed.

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
I just fixed this problem right now. I tuned my iMessage icon off and then back on and the menu for the Send Read Receipts popped up and all the other stuff is underneath it. WOW!

I think if anyone who is missing this portion goes into Settings - Messages and where it says iMessage On just select off and then cut it back on and you should be golden. The options that's missing will pop up along with the options you already have.

I know mine was missing because I had major problems yesterday and I had to reset all settings, so yup, this disaapeared.

Problem } Solved (y)

Heacon

Bronze
Nov 3, 2011
I have a different problem... This girl just got an iPhone 4 not s and I can send her Imessages and they say delivered and she gets nothing.... Its running 5.01 and when I call her with facetime it keeps calling and she receives nothing... She can send textmessages to me they don't come as Imessages and under messages Imessage is turned on at her wtf is wrong

Sent from my iPhone 4s using iCafe app

Sharunda

Genius
Gold
Jun 16, 2008
I have a different problem... This girl just got an iPhone 4 not s and I can send her Imessages and they say delivered and she gets nothing.... Its running 5.01 and when I call her with facetime it keeps calling and she receives nothing... She can send textmessages to me they don't come as Imessages and under messages Imessage is turned on at her wtf is wrong

I had the same problem yesterday. I rectified it by turning off the iMessage option and then turning it back on. Once I did that it worked again and I received the iMessage messages from my hubby. Tell her to cut her iMessage off and then on again. That should do it.

As far as the FaceTime, both parties have to be on WiFi for it to work so I don't know if both of you are on WiFi. If knot, that could be the problem.

My hubby tried to call me with FaceTime yesterday as well and it didn't go through and he was pissed. I told him he has to be connected to WiFi that;s why it's not working.

Heacon

Bronze
Nov 3, 2011
Well she says she is on interne but not sure if wifi... But ye ill tell her to take off imessages and then put it back on

iMessage

Nov 14, 2011
Well she says she is on interne but not sure if wifi... But ye ill tell her to take off imessages and then put it back on

That's weird.
I hope turning off then on the imessage again will work.