iMessage same contact two threads

Discussion in 'iOS Software' started by Smarty2600, Oct 1, 2014.

1. Smarty2600

Smarty2600 Member
    Bronze

I have been sending iMessages to two different threads on my friend's iPhone. I finally realized that I had my other iDevices set up to start conversation from email. I was wondering now that I changed that to start conversations from my number how can my friend have just one thread from me?

Basically is there a way going forward that would be less confusing so that there is only thread no matter what device I send an iMessage from.

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

You can send messages to their phone number from a WiFi-only iPad and an iPhone. Delete the conversation (on both phones) that's going to their email and only use their phone number. It will sync to both of your devices.

Your friend isn't sending messages to your phone and your email.

3. Smarty2600

Smarty2600 Member
    Bronze

So to be clear you're saying that if both of us delete the email thread from iMessage then it will just be one thread. Do I need to delete the email thread on all my devices or just the phone?

One thing though that I didn't mention, my friend does send me stuff from their phone number and sometimes from their email but they won't change the setting on their iPad because they like it separate. Does that change anything?

4. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

If your friend is sending messages to both your phone number and your email, you are going to have two threads on your phone. There's nothing you can do about that aside from asking them to only message your phone number. They can send messages to your phone number from their iPad and their iPhone. All you need to do is delete the other thread from your phone.