iMessage still works with just cellular data? (GPRS)

Discussion in 'iOS Software' started by Cloverfield, Oct 25, 2011.

1. Cloverfield

Cloverfield Member
    Bronze

So I was riding back home from work, practically in the middle of a field with no wifi, 3G or edge (just the round circle icon) and I sent a message to my mate and it still classed it as an iMessage, was blue and told me when he had read the message. I thought it needed wifi or 3G? If not that's pretty neat :D

2. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Thread moved.

It's great and quite crazy to see how many of your friends who have actually updated to iOS 5. iMessages must really annoy the networks.

3. Jmbaker429

Jmbaker429 Evangelist
    Gold

Well you have to be hooked to either wifi or the celular network or it wouldn't have sent. It will send as London as you have service and the Apple servers aren't too busy. If their overloaded then it defaults to the wireless carrier network to send the message.

4. MuddyPaws

MuddyPaws Zealot

I despise iMessage.

5. iphonewarrior

iphonewarrior Moderator

Dare I ask, why?

6. MuddyPaws

MuddyPaws Zealot

I just find it pointless personally. I have no need to text a ipod. But above that, they have found a way to take something you are already paying for and find a way to charge you again for it. Mine and my wife's text package is unlimited. My data is unlimited. However her's is not. When it sends via iMessage, it goes through the data package, thus charging her data plan for it. The didn't advertise this fact and if iMessage is on, then it defaults to iMessage, not the text message package. It took a while for us to catch that. I couldn't figure out why her data usage was so high all of a sudden and it ended up being iMessage.

7. Leo

Leo Zealot
    Silver

Is she sending like 4,000 iMessages a day or something?!

8. MuddyPaws

MuddyPaws Zealot

Do you never send pictures or video?

We do.

9. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Anyone have a number (mb's) that is being used for say 100 iMessages?
    I personally love it. Quicker.

10. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

Then why doesn't she just turn iMessages off?

11. Leo

Leo Zealot
    Silver

It's the only way I would, I get charged $0.25/message for every MMS I send, but iMessage makes that free for me without having to put MMS as an add-on to my already gigantic phone bill of $99/mo. We don't have unlimited data plans on Rogers, either.

12. MuddyPaws

MuddyPaws Zealot

I doubt a 100 simple text messages even takes a half a meg.

13. MuddyPaws

MuddyPaws Zealot

We did, but without information about how iMessage worked, it took a while to figure out we needed to turn it off.

14. MuddyPaws

MuddyPaws Zealot

For you, it would work out as long as your data isn't too high. Then the iMessages could put you over your limit if you sent pictures and video like we do.

15. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Ok then how many pictures do u have to send. Trying to understand your situation

16. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

This information was provided by Apple when they announced iOS 5 at the WWDC last June.

17. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

18. MuddyPaws

MuddyPaws Zealot

It's not a question of how many we "have" to send. It's a matter of how many we WANT to send. And since we have unlimited MMS it shouldn't be an issue. We have a different use than maybe you do. Doesn't mean our use is any less important to us than yours is to you. We send quite a few to each other and we send quite a few to grandma down state and grandma in Florida of my son.

Combine that with normal data use and it can eat up a limited data plan pretty quick. The last video the wife sent to her mom was 15 meg and it was pretty short.

They must not have done a good job at explaining how it worked on cellular devices or how it would effect your data plan because there is a huge thread on it on the ATT support forums and another on the Apple forums another on iFans another on iPhoneforums....I am sure there are more. There is quite a bit of discussion on this topic.

19. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

Well I think turning it off was the best bet for you then. Solved the problem.

20. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

Just to clarify for my benefit. Are MMS texts counted against Texts or Data?