iMessage text vs WiFi

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GoalieEd, Oct 15, 2011.

1. GoalieEd

GoalieEd Member
    Bronze

I was using iMessage with my father today, who happened to be in a hunting blind. In the same conversation it seemed like they were all being sent by iMessage, but some seemed to later change to text messages (and others did not). He doesn't have a messaging plan, so is there a way to force iMessage only for him?

2. verwon

verwon Evangelist
    Gold

Unfortunately, no. That doesn't seem to be an option.

Mistress of Mischief

3. KevJD

KevJD Member
    Bronze

Sure there is... Under Settings/Messages/ make sure iMessage is turned ON, and then turn "Send As SMS" OFF!

4. verwon

verwon Evangelist
    Gold

He said only for one person and that isn't possible.

Sent from my iOS ecosystem!

5. KevJD

KevJD Member
    Bronze

I read his post as "iMessage-only" for him. In any regard, if they both set their phones like this, his dad will have no issues with sending text messages accidentally, and won't have issues accidentally receiving text messages from his son. Problem solved...

6. verwon

verwon Evangelist
    Gold

Yes, but it also shuts it off for everyone else.

Sent from my iOS ecosystem!

7. GoalieEd

GoalieEd Member
    Bronze

Turned out my dad had subbed to unlimited text messages, so no harm done this time.

However, I wish I had a way to know for sure the recipient would not be charged for a text message before I sent them. I hate the idea of racking up someone else's bill.

Also, I had been I messaging my wife earlier today, but for some odd reason one of the iMessages got delayed about 10 minutes and then "turned" into a text message that she received. Wonder if it tries iMessage then times out after a length if time? And why could one even revived a text but not an iMessage in the first place on the phone?

8. KevJD

KevJD Member
    Bronze

I'm still a little confused with this thread. You DO have a way to make sure a recipient is not charged for receiving a text message before you send them...turn off "send as SMS"! If you turn off "send as SMS", and you make sure it says iMessage when you are about to text someone, then it WILL NOT send it as a regular text message. It will be iMessage only, or it will not be delivered.