iMessage to iMessage charges?

Discussion in 'iOS Software' started by dinosaur1, May 22, 2012.

1. dinosaur1

dinosaur1 Member
    Silver

I have 3 iPhones on my family plan. We text each other most of the day. Every month my bills show texts from one line to the other? It lists "some" of them and not "all of them". What would make a text green instead of blue when it's going to another ios5 device? I recently took off unlimited messaging and now I'm terrified than these will be billed 20 cents per text but realistically they shouldn't be billed anything. Help!

2. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius
    Gold

You won't be billed for texts using iMessage. Sometimes, and I'm not sure why, when texting another iOS user, iMessage isn't used. Just regular text. Blue messages are iMessages.

3. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

I found that when the iMessage is not available it's because of a bad connection and iMessage can't connect so the green regular message option pops up. This happens to me every time my train exits the tunnel. It's annoying. I find that if I wait 30 seconds to a minute, the iMessage becomes available again, I just have to wait. But, I do believe it has to do with the connection.

When I'm in the tunnel I have no signal at all and then as the train exits the signal comes back but the iMessge takes a little longer to connect. I just wait.

4. owieh

owieh Contributor
    Bronze

I agree with Sharunda. It has all to do with connection. Both sender and receiver must be connected to the Internet for iMessage to work.

You could try
    Settings > Messages > Send as SMS and turn it off, this should wait until iMessage is available to both parties before you could send a message to them.

Hope this helps.

Owie

5. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist
    Gold

You can also force iMessage to send as text while it is in the waiting to be delivered phase (i.e., no "Delivered" status yet). When I don't see the "Delivered" status within a few seconds or so I tap the message bubble and choose to send as text message.

This causes iMessage to send as SMS right away, without waiting for the usual waiting period, which is like 5 minutes or so. It also seems to "remember" that you forced it to send as SMS so if you send another message it is automatically sent as SMS. But if the other party responds back with an iMessage, your next message will be iMessage too.

One of the problems I find happening is that wifi will have an issue with Internet connectivity, which causes iMessage to fail--even though there was a perfectly good 3G connection that could have been used instead. Example of this would be someone who is just leaving work or home and the iPhone hangs onto a WiFi connection that is no longer actually working (out of range). Or someone has perhaps automatically connected to a known wifi network but they have not yet agreed to the agree-to-terms popup (like at a Starbucks). I wish iOS would not assume being connected to wifi equals having internet access. It would be better if it only used wifi if it verified there was also internet access--and if not use 3G.

Michael

6. Rugaby

Rugaby Genius
    Gold

^^^^^^^^
    Couldn't agree more with all of that. I often did that did my phone is going from that wake up stage or coming out of an app (family feud) that doesn't have my phone connected to wifi it confuses the iMessage. I hate the five minute (or whatever it is) delay before the sending as a text message automatically happens. I often tap and do it myself.

I do like how quick iMessages are.

7. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius
    Gold

I didn't know you could do that, thanks!