iMessages Read Notifications

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by bballrob, Jul 22, 2012.

1. bballrob

bballrob Genius
    Gold

I was reading an article last night that seemed to indicate that there was a way to know if someone had read a message you sent via iMessages. Does anyone know if this is true, and if so, how do you do it?

2. styfle

styfle Zealot
    Gold

It says "Read 07/22/12" underneath the message you sent. The person you are messaging has to enable the Read Receipt Feature in settings.

3. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

I'm just being nosy. If you use iMessage, do you allow the, 'Send Read Receipt'?

Sent from my iPad using iCafe Forums
    Instagram: naviwilliamsinc
    Twitter: naviwilliams

#3 ivantwilliams, Nov 5, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 24, 2015
  4. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

These days, because I'm now married, I do. Otherwise, I'm the sort who never would have.
    YMMV

5. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

I do. Why? I don't know. :p

6. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

I do. I had that setting for so long and forgot I had it like that until my mother started using her iPad Mini.

Mom would send me a message and when I didn't get back to her immediately, she would send another message informing me that she knows I saw her message and why did it take me so long (two or three minutes) to answer her. I know in the texting world that is unheard of. She caught on fast. I'm proud of her.

I wouldn't change the setting, I don't mind that people know I read what they sent me. It works both ways.

7. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

This is exactly why I disable read receipts.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • List
  8. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

100% Agree!!

9. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

LOL! Guys but it's MOM! I don't mind at all with her. I was just proud that she caught on to the whole Texting and iPad thing. When we gave it to her for her birthday she barely touched it and denounced it's existence in her house, stating that she isn't iPad savvy and she would probably never use it. So I don't mind her finding me out. LOL!! I'm glad she decided to use it.

Now, with everyone else that could be an issue. But I try to have an honest communication system, whereas, yes, you can see I read your message. And No, this is fifteen minutes later and I have not answered you. Now, it is an hour later and I have not answered you. I think by the next day, you have your answer, I am not responding. There is your answer. This has been effective with a few people getting the message. Rude and A**holeish but sometimes I have had to do that. Yes, I want them to know I am ignoring them.

My hubby - no issue we know when we read each others texts. After his iPhone 3Gs was stolen we make sure we use Find a Friend and the Find iPhone App. We can open and use each other's iPhones as if they were our own and track just in case something like that ever happened again. I am where I should be and so is he so there is no privacy in tracking issues between the two of us.

My sister hates those Apps and doesn't have Find a Friend on her iPhone. She hasn't even set up iCloud. She says she doesn't want to be tracked. LOL! I hope she doesn't need her iPhone tracked one day, then she might come to me complaining about she wishes she set all this up. However, I know people aren't into the iPhone and iPad the way I am so, I cut her some slack.

10. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

But would you let her add you to her Find my friends list? Lol

11. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

She's not there yet, but yes I would. I talked to her about that feature before and she said one thing at a time. I want the internet and i want to text my girls and granddaughter. Those are her main priorities now.

Let me tell you, the more eyes I have on me and or my devices the better. I live in a rough area. I commute through a rough area. I have already been robbed. My husband has already been robbed. The more eyes on me and my stuff the better. I have nothing to hide.

12. Lon

Lon Evangelist
    Gold

Bummer if you want to sneak off and buy a surprise Birtday or Christmas present. Everyone needs privacy. Doesn't mean you're doing bad things!!

13. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

I send read receipts but people need to understand it shows read if the person left their phone on the table with the message still open and they receive your text so it may not always be read even if the read receipt was sent.

Sent using iCafe app

14. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I have it enabled for no special reason. There is no one special in my life at this time and, furthermore, I have no stalkers at the moment, so, in spite of the read receipts, I don't normally feel any particular pressure to respond immediately.

If I get a text from one of my (very few) "VIPs" and I cannot respond immediately, I try not to "pop" it (i.e., open it) so as to avoid generating the Read Receipt and then making the person wait. I try to be considerate.

15. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

I realize it doesn't mean anyone is doing anything bad. We don't track each other 24hrs a day so buying things as a surprise has never been an issue. I like the fact that we can track each other or the devices if we have to and this has been an issue so this is a plus for us.

Plus this feature can always be disabled in Find My Friends just in case there is a surprise purchase about to go down and you want to make sure not to be seen.

16. Jdsmitty10

Jdsmitty10 Member
    Bronze

I do this too if I don't want someone to think I read the text I just don't open it.

Sent using iCafe app

17. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I leave it on because I have nothing to hide. It also lets the other person on the receiving side feel at ease knowing the message was read. The alternative is to just ignore the message and not open it and delete it unless you want to use it as evidence.

18. Sharunda

Sharunda Genius
    Gold

I like that "...use it as evidence" part! LOL!!

#18 Sharunda, Nov 6, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 6, 2014
  19. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

The alternative is to turn off read receipts. They can see it was delivered, but never know when you've read it. Some people take offense if you don't quickly reply when they know you've seen their text. This eliminates that. I still get a lot of "Did you get my texts? Did you like my pictures?" from my sister, but it's better than the alternative. If I had read receipts on, she would frequently ask why I didn't reply. I don't like to reply to everything and this takes some of the pressure off. I don't have to worry about people getting notification that I have opened/read them.

20. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I see it from that POV as well. None of my friends or family have badgered me if I have read their text. It's on an individual basis though.