iMessages sent as emails, why??

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by iPutz, Jul 20, 2016.

1. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

In the past, I would occasionally get iMessages sent to me as an email. This only happened rarely, maybe three or four times a year. Recently, I have been getting more iMessages received by me this way and I'm curious why an iPhone would send an iMessage as an email. What conditions prompt the phone to do this, is it because of something on the sender's end or recipient's end which causes this to happen?

2. EverythingApple

EverythingApple Evangelist
    Gold

I believe it has something to do with the sender's phone.

3. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

I agree with EverythingApple. It’s something the sender is doing, not you.

Now, iPutz, are you getting these iMessages in your e-mail inbox, or do you mean that you are receiving iMessages in your Messages app originating from an e-mail address instead of a phone number? If it’s the latter, that’s because the sender has “START NEW CONVERSATIONS FROM” set to an e-mail address of their choosing instead their phone number.

This setting is located in Settings > Messages > Send & Receive > START NEW CONVERSATIONS FROM. You could ask them to check there.

They may simply prefer to share their e-mail address instead of their phone number when sending iMessages, or they may have changed this setting in error.

4. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

I'm getting the messages in my email inbox. They're coming primarily from my wife's iPhone 6. I don't know what's changed but only once or twice have I ever got a message from her in that manner until now, from the same phone. The only changes I'm aware of are the updates from Apple that I usually install when they become available. The email I get shows the sender was my wife's phone number@att.com (or .net. not sure). If I get another I'll post the address listed for the sender. It doesn't happen every time only a couple times a week. They also arrive 30 minutes or more after they were originally sent. The settings you mentioned are as they should be.

#4 iPutz, Jul 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
  5. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

That’s very interesting. I don’t think they are iMessages. I think they are SMS messages that somehow got "converted” (probably not the correct technical term) to e-mails. Are you getting them as e-mails in lieu of, or in addition to text messages?

I have a feeling it’s related to this, but I cannot explain why they’re ending up this way. It’s possible to text an AT&T customer from an e-mail client by sending an e-mail to number@txt.att.net, but this normally requires a conscious action on the part of the sender. I don’t know why it’s happening to your wife’s messages “behind the scenes” so to speak.

If I come across anything more useful, I will post it here.

Read this first: Here is a page you may want to read. It is from November of 2012 but it may still prove helpful. I skimmed through it and it seems to still be relevant.

#5 Rafagon, Jul 20, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 20, 2016
  6. up10ad

up10ad Genius
    Gold

Non-deliverable iMesages sent to a phone number are delivered via SMS text messaging, so perhaps if an iMessage is sent TO an email address rather than a phone number, and it can't be delivered using iMessage, it is sent via email?.

7. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

That's what I figured was happening except that the iMessage delivery attempt being first attempted as a simple SMS is not happening, it is just being sent as an email straight away. I'm just wondering what may have changed since I'm getting so many of them lately, when I have rarely gotten them in the past. My wife's Phone initially attempts to send them as iMessages but they end up being delivered as emails. The email I receive is from "XXXXXXXXXXX@mms.att.net". It's usually not a big deal but sometimes she is in need of an answer in a minute or so not up to 30 minutes later. The up to 30 minute delay is probably because my phone is set to fetch email at 30 minute intervals.

8. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Ask your wife to look at how many SMS/iMessage threads she has going on with you. If there are more than one, then one may be sending the texts to your e-mail. I still believe the issue is the one mentioned in the article I shared above.

The article contains instructions for getting everything back to normal. They are all things that your wife has to do on her phone (and on her Macintosh if she’s using it to send you texts)—it’s nothing that you can fix on your end.

If you already read the article and following the instructions in it did not help, then I apologize for wasting your time.

One final question: Are the texts being delivered as e-mails coming only from your wife, or are there other senders whose texts are ending up in your e-mail inbox?

9. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

She needs to go to Settings > Messages > sent and received > uncheck the email address.

10. iPutz

iPutz Zealot
    Silver

Rafagon, yes, the messages are only coming from my wife's phone.

Thank you to everyone. I took a shotgun approach, tried all the suggested settings changes in one sitting and that seems to have resolved the issue. Naturally I have no clue which one did the trick but it worked so I guess that's the important thing. Thanks again to all.

11. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

My wife and I both had that issue at the beginning of iOS 9. Unchecking the email in sent and received did the trick.