Import Contacts iPhone 3GS to iPhone 4S

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

in2tech

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
www.sportsdepotinc.com
My brother-in-law just got a brand new 4S last night and for some reason Apple nor AT&T which were both at the Apple store did not offer, nor explain how to get his contacts from his iPhone 3GS to his new 4S. This should be really simple right?

Any idea how to accomplish this easily?

Thanks,

Leo

Zealot
Silver
Nov 9, 2008
Calgary, AB
Backup the 3GS in iTunes.
Restore the same backup to the 4S in iTunes.

Alternatively Part Un
Use iCloud

Alternatively Part Deux
In iTunes, with the phone plugged in, you can sync the contacts via one of the tabs while your phone is plugged in, but I'm not at the computer right now so I don't remember what it's called >:

verwon

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 29, 2011
Seattle
Alternatively part trois: If he had it set up with an email account, such as MobileMe, gmail, or a number of others, his contacts will return, when he adds that account to the phone.

(Wanted to keep the theme going here. LOL)

Sent from my iOS ecosystem!

in2tech

Bronze
Jul 1, 2007
www.sportsdepotinc.com
Backup the 3GS in iTunes.
Restore the same backup to the 4S in iTunes.

I backed up his 3GS in iTunes (and even once it gave me an option in iTunes to send to the Cloud...the 3GS backup).

But I was scared to hit the Restore button because I thought it was going to do something weird like put 3GS stuff on his 4S, like mix up operating system stuff...I know sounds weird but I was paranoid. And since I am considered the tech person I didn't want to mess up his new 4S phone. Doesn't the Restore say put it back to factory settings? I think that's why I didn't choose that option.

Alternatively Part Un
Use iCloud

So since I sent an iCloud backup from his 3GS via iTunes 10.5 he can backup from the cloud?
Which options does he use in the iCloud settings?

Alternatively Part Deux
In iTunes, with the phone plugged in, you can sync the contacts via one of the tabs while your phone is plugged in, but I'm not at the computer right now so I don't remember what it's called >:

jaydoc1

Contributor
Silver
Sep 23, 2007
Alternatively part trois: If he had it set up with an email account, such as MobileMe, gmail, or a number of others, his contacts will return, when he adds that account to the phone.

(Wanted to keep the theme going here. LOL)

Sent from my iOS ecosystem!
I have used nothing but Google for my contacts since being able to use Gmail sync on my devices. Happens natively on Androids but works just as well on iOS devices once you have set up a Gmail Exchange account on the phone (uses your Gmail account but sets up like a Microsoft Exchange account on the phone). It's as easy as just adding any email account to the iDevice. Once that is set up BAM your contacts, mail, calendars, etc.. populate the phone. The added benefit is as you add/delete/edit entries on your device, it automatically updates them in the Google cloud. You never have to worry about taking your contacts with you again.

MobileMe works much the same but I already had a Gmail account when I started doing this several years ago.

Leo

Zealot
Silver
Nov 9, 2008
Calgary, AB
Restoring from a backup restores all data you backed up that isn't part of the operating system, so basically all of your personal data. Just make sure you very recently did a backup from the 3GS, then go right ahead and restore the backup by right-clicking the device and selecting "Restore from Backup". This is different from a "Restore" in regards to iOS. It will not mess anything up with the OS. Apple designed their phones and software to be extremely simple, so that anyone could do it. Someone who is used to tinkering with devices, OS's, making sure proper compatibility would definitely have to try and think in a "simple" way that the average end user would.

Trust me, I thought the same thing.