Important info and request for help!

pomozki

Bronze
Feb 28, 2009
Phoenix
My 3G packed up 2-3 days ago - without my New Zealand receipt (I'm in china) I got it repaired myself - the guy who repaired it (for $100) said I'd cooked the motherboard and must have overcharged it - that's certainly possible - I often left it connected to the USB or charger for hours on end
DOES everyone know you can destroy the motherboard by doing that?
and can anyone help?
since the repair, I can make/receive calls and receive SMSs - but not send SMSs - keep getting "error sending message" and progress bar stops short
anyone got ideas why that's happening?

You can't harm the 3G by keeping it plugged into a normal, functioning USB. As for your inability to send SMS, have you checked with your carrier to make sure you have it enabled still? It may be an issue related to your carrier ipcc file, and they can help with that.

pomozki

Bronze
Feb 28, 2009
Phoenix
thanks mate - could it have been harmed by being connected all night to the power socket at the wall?
re SMS, I don't know why the carrier could've changed anything - here in China, everything is pre-paid cards - as far as anyone else was concerned, I just didn't use the phone for 2 days - and like I say, I can receive SMSs and make/receive calls - very strange :)

pomozki

Bronze
Feb 28, 2009
Phoenix
sorted now but not impressed with iPhone

thanks again up10ad - this morning I reset the network connecion settings in the general tab and that seems to have done the trick
but this expensive lessons begs a question:
how can a damn expensive phone that is only 4 months old, never bashed, dropped in water, dropped or thrown break down
if the repairer was right and the motherboard was stuffed it can only be 2 things: 1) a faulty m'board to start with or 2) something I did. The only overwork this phone's had is the constant scrolling down every time I need to reach the trainer part of my KTdict - 30-40 scrolls each time
can tapping the screen so many times every day damage the phone?
it's also had a protective screen stuck to it since day 1
anyway, it stinks - the sooner these phones are sold everywhere with truly worldwide warranties the better