Important Observation on 3G network

dmksaved

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
so I did a test and here it is :

on the 3G network I had it on at my work , my bars went all the way down , but i could get calls.
so I turned 3G off, my bars went all the way up, I'm posting this because I don't know if that is normal and if someone has posted this tell me . if not someone try it please and let me know if this is normal . thanks

k3n85

Bronze
Jul 14, 2008
Pretty sure that if you are in a spotty 3G area it would still have the 2G coverage to pick up calls just fine, but just enough 3G to show you can get it. The coverage for 2G is pretty much everywhere, EDGE a little less, then finally 3G very select areas. I would assume all is normal depending where you live.

TAEWING59

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
Thats Normall from what i hear, im going with my step mom who works as an AT&T area manager, ill ask her why 3G signal is low and EDGE is higher.

dmksaved

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
Thats Normall from what i hear, im going with my step mom who works as an AT&T area manager, ill ask her why 3G signal is low and EDGE is higher.
sounds good . report back . it seems strange to me. that i get more bars in the same palace with 2G and no 3G

TAEWING59

Bronze
Jul 12, 2008
Yeah, doesn't make much sense b/c it uses the same chip, i think

theraker007

Bronze
Jun 15, 2007
i get only 2 bars on 3g in most areas but all my calls come in crisp and the data speeds are alright.

dmksaved

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
i get only 2 bars on 3g in most areas but all my calls come in crisp and the data speeds are alright.
yeah same here , usually if i have no bars i get no calls, but i call myself and it works fine . Im just curious why it is doing that . if I can hear a call fine with no bars. seems to me its not accuratly displaying the bars

dmksaved

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
That is normal.

Turn off 3G and see if the phone works as well on EDGE. Just for kicks.
yes it does work well on Edge , just why more bars with Edge then 3G, Im in washington DC and the coverge of 3G should be the same .

jimmyrules712

Bronze
Sep 21, 2007
3G and edge are 2 different signals. if your phone is getting any 3G signal at all then that is the signal strength it shows. So if you're getting 1 Bar of 3G signal but 5 bars of voice/2G signal, it only displays the 3G signal strength.

Marianne

Zealot
Jul 16, 2007
Massachusetts
marianneschultz.com
yes it does work well on Edge , just why more bars with Edge then 3G, Im in washington DC and the coverge of 3G should be the same .
Not necessarily. IIRC, 3G has a shorter broadcast range. So, even if you are connecting to the same towers that carry both 3G and EDGE signals, the 3G signals will still be comparatively weaker than the EDGE signals unless you are very close to the tower.

Jun 23, 2008
Honolulu, Hawaii
Not necessarily. IIRC, 3G has a shorter broadcast range. So, even if you are connecting to the same towers that carry both 3G and EDGE signals, the 3G signals will still be comparatively weaker than the EDGE signals unless you are very close to the tower.
Well, AT&T is upgrading its 3G network at least until the end of the year.

dmksaved

Bronze
Jun 14, 2007
3G and edge are 2 different signals. if your phone is getting any 3G signal at all then that is the signal strength it shows. So if you're getting 1 Bar of 3G signal but 5 bars of voice/2G signal, it only displays the 3G signal strength.
well that answers everything . ok forum should close now . haha