Important Question before I jump to the iPhone

Shlov1

Bronze
Jan 12, 2009
First I love this forum. It is definitely making my decision making easier. I was part of everything Q for my Q but in April I plan to make the jump to the iPhone once my Sprint contract is up. However, I do have one major question that I have only seen partly answered on here through searching. I want to be able to sync my outlook calendar (calendar only) on my computer at my office (XP) with my phone. Then all other syncing will be done with my laptop (Vista) at home. Can I do this? I only need my calendar from my office laptop but all my contacts, pics, music, files, etc are only on my home laptop. This is a major issue for me. Also, can I sync one or both of them wirelessly and how would I do that? Thank you again. I can't wait until April.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Welcome to the forums...

What you want to do is a little tricky due to Apple's strict syncing policies. I believe you might be able to do it if you elect to manage your media manually, although I've never used this option.

If I were you, I'd set up your office Outlook to sync with a free Google account (there are several tools available for that) and then use a free service like Nuevasync to push the calendar to your phone via Exchange. It sounds complicated, but once you set it up it should be relatively transparent. An update on your office machine will push to google, which will then push to your phone. And the other way around.

I use Nuevasync to sync both mine and my wife's calendars and contacts wireless "from the cloud". It works flawlessly.

Shlov1

Bronze
Jan 12, 2009
Welcome to the forums...

What you want to do is a little tricky due to Apple's strict syncing policies. I believe you might be able to do it if you elect to manage your media manually, although I've never used this option.

If I were you, I'd set up your office Outlook to sync with a free Google account (there are several tools available for that) and then use a free service like Nuevasync to push the calendar to your phone via Exchange. It sounds complicated, but once you set it up it should be relatively transparent. An update on your office machine will push to google, which will then push to your phone. And the other way around.

I use Nuevasync to sync both mine and my wife's calendars and contacts wireless "from the cloud". It works flawlessly.
Thank you for the quick response. Is there a bit more of a tutorial someone can give me on this. I'll use anything in order to do this the simplest way. Any additional help would be appreciated. Thanks again.

rmfnla

Bronze
I had my IT guy set mine up; it links directly to our Exchange Server and it works great!

BTW, this is what Mobile Me tries to accomplish; IMHO the Outlook sync is better.

One caveat: if your office server does not have SSL enabled the sync will fail. The iPhone asumes the SSL is active and you do not see the checkbox until you run a diagnostic utility; once you do see it you can uncheck it and it will work great.

Shlov1

Bronze
Jan 12, 2009
I had my IT guy set mine up; it links directly to our Exchange Server and it works great!

BTW, this is what Mobile Me tries to accomplish; IMHO the Outlook sync is better.

One caveat: if your office server does not have SSL enabled the sync will fail. The iPhone asumes the SSL is active and you do not see the checkbox until you run a diagnostic utility; once you do see it you can uncheck it and it will work great.
Yes, SSL is enabled. So how did he set it up? So you can sync your office outlook and then still sync to your home files?

silkjones

Jan 17, 2009
What's up partna? You can get that iPhone sooner than you think. You can cancel your sprint account without an early termination fee this month. I have heard two different responses on that. One response that I have heard is you have to do it before January 31st and the other is you have to do it within 30 days of receiving your January's bill. I will send you a link via PM so that you will get the long version of how to do it. To make the story short, Sprint raised their admin fee from 75 cents on your bill to 99 cents. Due to this MATERIAL CHANGE, you are allowed to cancel without the fee but you have to do it within a certain timeframe otherwise it will be assumed you agree to the change. I am going to do the same thing this weekend and go grab an iPhone. I'll send the link to your PM so that you will know who to call and what to say. There are several people that had it work. Let me know how it goes for you!

PapaST

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
Shlov1, find out from your company's IT department if they allow the Exchange sync first. Using the Exchange feature on the iPhone will allow you sync your work account MAIL, CONTACTS and/or CALENDAR. You can toggle any of the 3 on or off.

Then I would use iTunes to sync your home email to your iPhone also. In iTunes it will show that your are synching your calendar via Exchange so it will disable it on your home account.

Let me ask you, do you ever connect to your work email via OWA (Outlook Work Access)? If so, those settings are similar to what your will be setting up for your iPhone Exchange account.

Shlov1

Bronze
Jan 12, 2009
Shlov1, find out from your company's IT department if they allow the Exchange sync first. Using the Exchange feature on the iPhone will allow you sync your work account MAIL, CONTACTS and/or CALENDAR. You can toggle any of the 3 on or off.

Then I would use iTunes to sync your home email to your iPhone also. In iTunes it will show that your are synching your calendar via Exchange so it will disable it on your home account.

Let me ask you, do you ever connect to your work email via OWA (Outlook Work Access)? If so, those settings are similar to what your will be setting up for your iPhone Exchange account.

Thanks Silk. Got out of the Sprint contract with your advice this afternoon and getting the iPhone tomorrow.

Yes, I can do exchange sync at work so that should work great. Thank you all again. I'll let you know how everything works out later this week. I'm keeping my fingers crossed. Now if I can just transfer my contacts from my Q to the iPhone.

PapaST

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
Can you import your contacts from the Q to your home Outlook? If so then you're golden.

iPhoneMonster

Bronze
Jan 18, 2009
Reply To Your Question

1. Unfortunately you cannot sync things between two computers. Unless every time you are willing to erase all your content in order to sync.

2. There are many applications out there in the app store, and rest assured you can sync over the air with the variety of different apps out there. Although you may have to pay for some of these applications.

I hope this answered your question. If I haven't, don't hesitate to PM me. Have a good one.

kevlar08

Zealot
Gold
Jul 3, 2008
Colorado
mobile me, truly is the simplest way to sync info on iPhone and pc

rmfnla

Bronze
Yes, SSL is enabled. So how did he set it up? So you can sync your office outlook and then still sync to your home files?
Sorry to not respond sooner; I've been slammed at work.

The Exchange Sync is a wireless sync; it updates my Outlook calendar and e-mail whenever I open the application (the continuous sync is a battery hog). I also have an AOL mail account that also syncs this way.

I sync to my PC (iTunes) only to manage my contacts and photos.