Improved Gmail App performance (?)

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by dmoskaluk, Jan 3, 2014.

1. dmoskaluk

dmoskaluk Contributor
    Bronze

Am I alone in an observation made over the last few months, essentially since either the iOS7 upgrade, or the updates to the GMail App which came out both before and immediately after iOS7.
    I had used the 'native' mail in preference to the GMail App because when set up in conjunction with exchange, I had 'pushed' notifications as well as the mail itself. That got all messed up for me when Google stopped supporting the exchange synch unless paid for. Even though I'd been using it as such, successfuly, for several months, it stopped working properly..... SO.... I had really nothing to lose by simply going back to the GMail App, which has a better presentation (IMO) and is designed around GMail. The notification is pushed, and the mail body fetched either periodically, or when the App is opened ( eg after receiving the notification) yes, there was a bit of a delay to download the mail, but not really of consequence.
    I now ( for a month or so) have found the App behaving suspiciously like a push protocol, with the mail being immediately available on both iPhone and iPad after I get the notification. I have it set up with a banner, and on lock screen, and as soon as the tone sounds, I can read my mail... I'm happy, and don't wish to jinx the whole set up, so 'shhhhh' if its only happening in my case :)

David

2. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

I don't use GMail anymore (long story), but, nice to know the app 'seems' to be working better ;)

Curious, when you delete an email from the app, does it truly delete, or move/label the item as 'All Mail'?

3. dmoskaluk

dmoskaluk Contributor
    Bronze

When I delete anything, it winds up in a 'trash file.'.... From where it can be 'deleted forever' . The synce seems good between iPad and iPhone, and is a bit ahead of whatever happens on the web entry on my desktop (iMac) where GMail is accessed most of the time through Chrome.

4. ricks2gtouch

ricks2gtouch Zealot
    Silver

I may have to revisit the GMail app now.

5. dmoskaluk

dmoskaluk Contributor
    Bronze

The over all improvement does not seem to be device-dependent. The 'push like performance' on the mail content ( as well as the notification ) happens on my iPhone and iPad, as well as my wife's two devices. The new 'filtered inbox' is great too, unless you are a marketer who sends adverts by email ( I call them 'junk', but I guess it depends on which side of the street you are on :).

If you do try it and notice a change, please post accordingly . David

6. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

I've tried the Gmail app several times as well as a few other email clients, but I keep going back to the stock mail app on my phone. I do use Gmail on my laptop.

7. dmoskaluk

dmoskaluk Contributor
    Bronze

I was happy with the native mail app as long as I could use gmail through exchange to get 'push' service. That isn't available anymore unless one pays, and the idea that those who had it from the past are grandfathered seems not to be quite the case. Once that was so, I went back to the App, as I like how it presents and handles, so the improved delivery is more or less a bonus. The new filtered inbox is great for grumpy old geezers who like to pre-sort out adverts etc and only read what is pointed directly at me. Not that I don't have time to browse all my mail - but now I can pick the time and place !
    I'm up to Canada tomorrow for a week of chores and a 'general reality check' in which I will ( I'm sure ) reinforce all the reasons I left the 'near north' 5 years ago ! David

8. ricks2gtouch

ricks2gtouch Zealot
    Silver

My biggest hindrance has always been the inability to select a different default mail app with iOS. Which means that I HAVE to have my email acct info set up on the stock app in order to email from other apps, etc. I almost changed my email service from GMail to Outlook recently because of the lack of push. But then looked at what a monumental chore it would be to make that transition and chickened out.

9. dmoskaluk

dmoskaluk Contributor
    Bronze

In my admittedly limited experience, I've found that those apps ( stock or otherwise) which need to send mail, generally do so using the native app ( blue envelope) which is configured with my GMail address. I have simply shut off its notifications and only use its tone and icon badge for whatever 'iCloud' mail arrives ( not often ) but yes, it's there, set up on my Gmail, in the background. My 'front page mail ’ is the GMail app. ( red envelope) , with its notifications ( banner) badge app icon, and tone ( which is internal and not set through sounds ). Sort of the best of both worlds. And any configuring I do on the GMail app is reflected on both iPhone and iPad. ....( signature, vacation response, etc - yes, retired people take vacations :) Maybe I'm missing something, but I've been set up this way since exchange sort of divorced from Google and it's been good. The push or at least push type speed on the App though is new, maybe a month or so. David

10. dmoskaluk

dmoskaluk Contributor
    Bronze

The updated GMail App ( 3.0 ) seems to perform in the same improved way ( little or no delay downloading mail- morse or less a 'push' ...I'm a bit puzzled because this is billed as a 'new' feature but is what I've been used to for several months now. With the update description is a description of the improvement as well as a requirement for a 'notification' to be active. It uses the term ' background app refresh, and it is hinted in a few articles that it must also be active, but yet, with the background app refresh disabled, I still get first class performance. And the difference between the App refresh enabled or disabled is significant in terms of battery drain. I suspect that like many weather apps, the performance is not dependent on background app refresh being enabled, to have current data displayed on opening, without a significant lag for downloading. Could someone comment on their experience with the improved gmail app ... Thanks

11. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

No matter how much I try using the Gmail app, Molto, Hop or any other email app, I always go back to the stock mail app. It works great for me. I don't really see the others being that much better. What features am I missing?

12. dmoskaluk

dmoskaluk Contributor
    Bronze

Ease tidally I have push mail performance - I did for a while on the stock app, by using exchange, but that went away ..... I like to be able to get my mail when I get the notification, which wasn't happening with the stock mail app ..... My GMail app formats nicely and the mail is right there when I open the app ....

13. dmoskaluk

dmoskaluk Contributor
    Bronze

And no, I can't really figure why a retired guy needs his mail upon notification, I guess its just a 'me thing' :)

14. ricks2gtouch

ricks2gtouch Zealot
    Silver

The killer for me is caused by my laziness. You can't set links to open up in Safari. It opens in the gmail "browser" then you can open it up in Safari manually. If that option were available, I would be all in with the Gmail app.

15. dmoskaluk

dmoskaluk Contributor
    Bronze

I agree..... But I guess the instant mail download is a personal thing..... I open links in the. GMail browser ( they used to open in Chrome, but I took Chrome off both iPad and iPhone because it was causing other issues ) IF I wish to save the link I of course have to do the 'Open in Safari' thing, and save to my home screen then into a dedicated folder - or email it to anyone else interested. I guess Google, Apple, Samsung, & Microsoft will be in some kind of conflict/turf war for the foreseeable, mailing these little bumps just the nature of the beast !

16. silvermoon

silvermoon Evangelist
    Gold

I may be one of the few people, but I never did like Gmail and switched to Outlook. It has been a far more reliable service and offers better spam protection. The downside is you don't get free storage.

17. rambo47

rambo47 Contributor
    Silver

I use a Mac.com email address as my primary account. I figure if I'm going to use a platform I'm going to buy in 100%. I'm a little OCD about prompt email delivery and a clean inbox. This comes from my decade+ crackberry addiction. Once you filed an email message in a sub-folder you could not access it again on your BlackBerry unless you were on a BES. So all is non-corporate users had to keep hundreds o emails in out inbox if we wanted access to them. Drove me nuts. I'd file some older emails and then find my neatness cost me the ability to refer to those messages when I needed them. BB10.1 is the first version that gives non-corporate users that access. The solution was an iPhone and Mac.com. If it's any consolation, Gmail is just as problematic on a BlackBerry.