In dire need of an Apple IR remote control for my iMac

Discussion in 'Marketplace' started by Rafagon, Oct 27, 2015.

1. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Fist generation or second generation Apple remote desperately needed!

I just recently spent oh, around $5 to $8 at my local Home Depot to replace the batteries on my second-generation remote for use with my iMac—only to be disappointed that the remote failed to work. I mean, it worked sporadically for the first few hours, but then nothing.

Both first- and second-generation remotes (the plastic, and the much-thinner silver colored one) work perfectly with my iMac.

Perhaps some of my fellow readers here at eiC have an extra iMac remote (do they come with Mac Minis too? I'm not sure right now) that they're willing to part with, perhaps from an older machine you no longer use.

Not looking for freebies—but I'm willing to pay you $5 for postage for shipping the item via PayPal.

It truly would be a lifesaver for me.

I can send you my home address via PM. Serious offers only and you must sign a document that you will not show up at 3AM at my home address to scare the living crap out of me while I'm peafully enjoying my sleep!

Thank you kindly for any help you may be able to provide.

I'm going to take the liberty of tagging @Napoleon PhoneApart because I know he has a lot of hook-ups that may be able to help me.

2. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. acosmichippo

acosmichippo Genius
    Platinum

i don't recall if you can on macs, but at least on apple tv's you can set up *any* remote to control it. might want to give that a shot too.

4. Kadelic

Kadelic Genius
    Gold

Mac Minis don't come with remotes, or at least mine didn't. I use my iPhone and the free Remote app to control my ATV, as well as iTunes on my Macs. I'm not sure what all you can control with the Apple remote on your iMac, but the Remote app on your iPhone can at least control iTunes playback.

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

I use the Mobile Mouse server with the Mouse Pro app on my phone to control my Mac if I'm not sitting at the desk. I like how you aren't limited to iTunes like you are with the Remote app. You just use the phone as a trackpad to move the cursor, type, open apps, control playback, etc.

I typed this post with the app on my phone.
    IMG_0301.jpg

6. Rafagon

Rafagon Genius
    Gold

Thanks, @Europa! I'm going to try that! :)