In Memorium (movie, 2005)

Mar 2, 2009
California
On July 27, Dennis Wade was diagnosed with terminal cancer. On September 25th, he began to document his illness. On September 27th...the cameras recorded something else.

Trailer

Anyone seen this before? Friend of mine said it was pretty freaky. Can anyone confirm if it's on iTunes? I'm at work so I can't check ATM.

kimo

Bronze
Aug 7, 2007
Sorry not in iTunes and has not been released on DVD yet.

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
Wow.... the first movie i've searched for that has NO wiki, no description, no pictures. WTF is that movie about. That was soo so scary.

Mar 2, 2009
California
I know. It's been hard finding info about it. The only thing I found was the IMDB which doesn't show much.

kimo

Bronze
Aug 7, 2007
From one critic:
After years of working deep behind the scenes of the movie world, Amanda Gusack went from craft services to production assistant to art department to producer -- before finally deciding to make her very own movie already. And guess what? It's a pretty good one. Spooky, too.Poor Dennis got a raw deal: He's got inoperable bone cancer and only a few months left to live. He and his loyal girlfriend Lilly decide to rent a new house, intent on enjoying their final weeks together. For some semi-morbid reason, Dennis decides to install a bunch of motion-sensitive video cameras throughout the house. His aim is to document his battle with cancer ... although I can't really imagine who'd want to watch the final film.

But the cameras give Ms. Gusack a wonderfully creepy gimmick, and she exploits it quite well. Clearly inspired by The Blair Witch Project, the best of Japanese Horror, and a good old-fashioned haunted house chiller, In Memorium is a clever, creepy, and surprisingly compelling little horror flick. Suffice to say that there's an extra presense occupying this house ... and the cameras manage to grab just a few quick peeks before the static kicks in.

The entire movie is presented in a "surveillance" style collection of video clips, but the director is smart enough to know when to let the lens linger in one place long enough. The key is to piece lies with the characters, and if those characters get lost amidst the non-stop editing and handycam trickery, then the flick gets pretty old pretty fast.

Such is not the case here, as Gusack's put together a bare-essense psychological creeper that has just enough story and character to keep its one location interesting. The two leads are really quite excellent, especially for newcomer-types, in a project that looks a lot trickier than it is. (I can only imagine how many months this flick took in the editing bay.) The story, which also involves a mildly strange landlady and Dennis' angry brother, offers a few unexpected twists and turns -- even if some of the creepier moments feel like they fell out of The Grudge.

But for all its obvious "borrowing" and mildly familiar moments, In Memorium is a pretty novel little shocker. It runs a slick 73 minutes, it's anchored by two very compelling main characters, and (if you give the flick a fair shake and watch it with the lights off) it delivers more satisfying jolts than most of the big-budget horror movies I've seen this year.

From a second critic with link:

IN MEMORIUM
Director Gusack creates a film very much in the vein of “Blair Witch Project”, and from the get go there’s this sense of pure dread and impending doom that’s presented with a stark gray ambiance. The character Dennis is dying from terminal bone cancer that is eating away at his body. He and his wife (the gorgeous Johanna Watts) move into a new home they then rig with various cameras to film every one of his developments and movements to chronicle and possibly create as a documentary for his legacy and his wife to bank off of. But this documenting is interrupted with something ever more sinister.
The film is comprised of camera shots as if the director had rigged them, and the film is played out in a manner in which it’s a film within a film. Our director actually intends to record his death, yet captures something else, and our actual story begins. The chemistry with McDowell and Watts is believable, and their constant bickering as a husband and wife and the little chats they have are engrossing. Their characters are wonderfully drawn out for the story, and the performances behind the two principles kept me drawn into the build-up to the events that occur. She’s difficult, he’s insistent, she wants him to have chemo, he refuses because he wants to be with her in his last days, Gusak explores their relationship with enough nuance to let us relate to them and watch this foundation slow deteriorate.
Only a few days in their home, Dennis’ symptoms increase dramatically and his skin and health deteriorate at dramatic levels. One day while checking the footage, Dennis spots something on film and suddenly the **** hits the fan. “In Memorium” is an utterly creepy simplistic bit of horror that never really just gives us ghosts and trick photography, but instead focuses on our characters, and delves into back stories, and our demons that come back whether we like it or not. The house itself becomes a character with the entity behind the doors becoming more aggressive as the film develops, and when the plot twist arrives, you won’t see it coming. “In Memorium” is a wonderful horror entry, and from the slow build-up to the gory frantic climax, this will please even the most cynical horror lover.
I’m not one to usually give cheesy analogous one-liners, but “In Memorium” is a surefire mixture of “The Shining” and “Blair Witch Project”. Director Gusack has a handle on characterization, pacing, and story and takes a tired concept adding a wonderful air of originality, unease, and suspense. “In Memorium” is an intense simplistic piece of the horror genre.

Enjoy or be scared!

Mar 2, 2009
California
I knew of the website before hand, but couldn't really find anymore information on the movie. It almost seems as if no one wants to acknowledge it exists.

JWiPhone

Genius
Gold
Sep 18, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I have always loved the horror movie genre. I will be sure to check this out also. Movies don't have to be big budget in order to be good. I have always been fascinated with ghost research, and have been on a few ghost investigations, although I have only had just one encounter in my life which was back in 2003. I have also known friends who lived in actively haunted homes. It is very fascinating and leads one to believe there is more to this existence than our day to day lives.

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
Wow.... not even torrenting sites have this. Was this movie ever released to the public? Was it a small private release? (state wise? select theatres?) maybe just a screening for critics?

Something is not right here. This movie and trailer and reviews exist, yet there is no movie, or info or even a wiki about it.

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
Ok.... now this is pissing me off. There is NOTHING on this movie, and it supposedly came out in 2005? I must see this movie now. I cant find it on Netflix either. What the hell is this?! Something is deff not right when legal places and even torrenting sites have nothing on this movie.

Mar 2, 2009
California
Ok.... now this is pissing me off. There is NOTHING on this movie, and it supposedly came out in 2005? I must see this movie now. I cant find it on Netflix either. What the hell is this?! Something is deff not right when legal places and even torrenting sites have nothing on this movie.
Yeah, I've done plenty of searches with nothing. This should have been out by now. I'll see what I can do as far as writing and requesting info on this.

kimo

Bronze
Aug 7, 2007
Try not to be upset, this film never made it to the digital world. As stated, it was show only at limited film festivals (two noted on the site) in 2005. There are many other films out there that we will never see but exist.