In serious trouble with the Customize app.

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

kidclam

Oct 17, 2007
Hi there, I am using Customize, but I think I made a terrible mistake.

I hid all the Springboard items just to see if I like it. However it hid the Customize software also, and now I cannot get back in, or use any of the apps that was on my Springboard. How silly is that?

Is there a way around this? I am really scared that I can't use this phone anymore.

Thanks

Calvin

iversonjai

Bronze
Sep 27, 2007
i did the exact same thing....
and i thought about a solution after i reboot everything...
go ahead and install dock....
then you'll get a little sun (very little) on the bottom right hand corner....
drag it out and all the item will appear again...
hope it works (i thuoght about it...but never try it)...give it a shot....

kidclam

Oct 17, 2007
Problem is that I can't see the installer or settings. I have a blank springboard and lucky to have 8 icons on my dock. Mail, safari , iPod, iCal, iphoto, notes, sms and phone. Its a hacked phone so I cannot restore in iTunes to the original settings.:mad:

jerrettpaul

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
Denton, TX
you can restore as long as youre not using the sim unlock. the best way to find out if your phone is going to be bricked during restore is to first check the IMEI number on the back of the phone. then go to settings/general/about and check the IMEI number there. if those numbers match then youre in the clear...there is only a 20% chance or less of your phone being bricked.

i had jailbroke my phone and updated the software and now i have a perfectly functioning 1.1.1 stock iPhone. i had no problems during the restore.

again as long as you are still using your original ATT sim, and haven't unlocked the phone to use a sim with another network, you should be in the clear. :laugh2:

kidclam

Oct 17, 2007
thanks for your idea. unfortunately I cant even see the settings. I bought and using this in Asia, so I don't have the original At&t info as it's already hacked when I bought it.

iversonjai

Bronze
Sep 27, 2007
o no....i don't know how to help you mate, I have a pc and have no idea what programs and things are available for the mac...

but...all i can say is dock is the program you are looking for and once you get that program you'll be able to get your icons back and avoid the need of a restore...goodluck...

kidclam

Oct 17, 2007
o no....i don't know how to help you mate, I have a pc and have no idea what programs and things are available for the mac...

but...all i can say is dock is the program you are looking for and once you get that program you'll be able to get your icons back and avoid the need of a restore...goodluck...
I just saved myself phew.

I used Breezer installer to install Dock. Then with Dock I opened up Customize and switched on the preferences. YEah! Thanks for everyones help!

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
I just saved myself phew.

I used Breezer installer to install Dock. Then with Dock I opened up Customize and switched on the preferences. YEah! Thanks for everyones help!
Took me a little while to respond so I'm glad you fixed it. But for future reference what you can also do is log in via SSH (if you have it running) and then manually start the app from the command line. It will start the app on the iPhone and you'll be able to do whatever you needed to do.

Oct 23, 2007
Hi, I have a very similar problem. I have an unlocked iPhone 1.1.1 and I installed install.app, from there I installed Costumize and start playing with it, I didn't like it so much so I left everything like it was and I uninstalled it, the problem is that I don't get any icons! Not a single one! I can receive calls but I can't do anything. I'm on windows xp. I tried to install dock from ibrick but when it was installing it gave me an error an closed ibrick. What can I do? What happens if I restore? Would I have to activate and unblock my iPhone again? Thanks.

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
It sounds to me like the icon's for all your apps either got overwritten, or Customize decided to hide all your icons. I'd check the following:

For each application in /Applications/ check under APPNAME.app and make sure there is a valid icon.png there. It could have gotten overwritten so that there is no icon.png (or it's corrupted), in which case it's not showing up.

The other option is Customize messed up the plist that contains the icon order of the phone. You can check out this link http://www.hacktheiPhone.com/73/iPhone_springboard_modification.html which talks about the DisplayOrder.plist. It's an outdated webpage, but it explains what it does and how to modify it which should get you going back on the right direction without having to restore you phone.