In what folder is the music stored on the iPhone?

Discussion in 'iOS Software' started by wildonrio, Sep 6, 2007.

1. wildonrio

wildonrio New Member

I hate syncing, and I was wondering if I could just copy songs directly to the music directory on the phone via WinSCP, Manzana, iBrickr, or the like. Now I just would like to know, where is the directory that holds the music? What about videos?
  2. mike3141

mike3141 New Member

You have to use iTunes because not only does it copy the music files to the iPhone but it also updates the database that the user interface uses.
  3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius

I too would like to know what folder (in windows) the itunes music is in, just to know. Thanks in advance.
  5. wildonrio

wildonrio New Member

Oh well I meant which folder on the iPhone, not Windows. To find out where any song in iTunes is located in Windows, you right click the song in iTunes and say "Get Info" and it will show you the path to find it.
  6. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist

Well music is stored in:
    /var/root/Media/iTunes_Control/Music

While you can copy stuff there it won't be recognized by the iPod app on the iPhone. All the tracks (synced from iTunes) are renamed with random filenames. I assume the iPod app uses iTunesDB to reference the actual tracks.

--
    Mike
  7. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius

OH, OK. Thanks!
  8. wildonrio

wildonrio New Member

Do you think there's any kind of system to the file renaming or that it really is "random"?
  9. mike3141

mike3141 New Member

it would normally be in "My Documents/My Music/iTunes/iTunes Music/".
  10. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist

I don't think it matters--if there is no entry in iTunesDB it won't be recognized by the iPod app on the iPhone.

--
    Mike
  11. wildonrio

wildonrio New Member

Can I edit iTunesDB to specify the name of the file to reference to make it show up in iPod app?
  12. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist

I would imagine there is a tool somewhere that can edit it. But I would think that would really piss off iTunes! :p

--
    Mike
  13. wildonrio

wildonrio New Member

Well good! I don't know why, but for some reason I've always hated iTunes and would LOVE to figure this out so I will have to use iTunes as little as humanly possible. Plus it would be really nice to send music via Wifi/EDGE and not USB and I think this is the way to do it.
  14. tiguy99

tiguy99 Member

HAve you guys figured this out? I just downloaded iPhoneexplorer and would like to update my library with a few albums but since I synced at work, itunes is telling me it wants to erase my current library to replace it with the new albums which I think is absurd. Can you guys help?
  15. KNK

KNK New Member

It is because it is synced that way and will want to update it, looks like it is not a 2-way street.
  16. tiguy99

tiguy99 Member

But see K, why couldn't they allow open file explorer style file syncing like Microsoft Active Sync? Or they could have it pop up as a drive in Windows and then we can drag and drop files to it? Do you think that a 3rd party app may allow this? I'm drying over here
  17. Griffinaz

Griffinaz Zealot

If your phone is jailbroken you can install a program called SwapTunes that will allow you to sync your music and movies with two different computers. You sync at home, then click swaptunes then sync at work with a different set of music files. The real pain is when playing music that is on the other "swap" you have to swaptunes again to get them to show in the iPod interface. But it works great to be able to load music at two separate locations.
  18. x999x

x999x New Member

I think its going to be a little harder than just editing the db entries to accomplish what you're asking.

I think the easiest solution is Swaptunes as mentioned above, or just using the VNotes program to play whatever mp3 files you have in your download folder. Last I remember, Erica added a routine that scans your downloads folder for new mp3 files to compliment the download plugin for safari.
  19. tiguy99

tiguy99 Member

x whats the name of that app?
  20. x999x

x999x New Member

U askin me?

Um, which app are you referring to?

I think I named them all, Swaptunes, Vnotes, and the Safari Plugin... Hmm, I don't know the name of that Safari Plugin actually, but I reckon you can find it in one of Wildonrio's posts, I think he has a thread on it in fact.
  21. british6661

british6661 New Member

I also have a jailbroken iPhone and started using winscp for making my own thems and stuff. I was wondering if I can take music files off of my iPhone though and have them back on my computer. because I lost some music files but they are still on my iPhone.