inactive SIM?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

DVS_WiNdz

Nov 24, 2007
I was wondering does an iPhone work with an inactive sim? I want to get one as a mp3 player, but I don't want to get the ipod touch, because at some point I can pop my regular sim back in and use it as a phone.

DVS_WiNdz

Nov 24, 2007
so I'll be able to use the iPhone with no sim card? I mean as a ipod and use wifi to go online? not make calls or anything

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
so I'll be able to use the iPhone with no sim card? I mean as a ipod and use wifi to go online? not make calls or anything
I'm not sure if you can activate a phone without a SIM , but yes - you can certainly use one that is activated without a sim

I like the ease of access of the iPhone's sim - not sure how resilient it will be to repeated plugging unplugging but on long car journeys it's good to be able to take my sim out and put it into my car's sim tray as that's the number most people call me on.

meiphones_brill

Silver
Nov 16, 2007
yes - until it's activated it's good for nothing at all. My phone is locked to O2 - If I take the sim out I can use the ipod functions ok, but if I put another O2 sim in (either contract or PAYG) my phone tells me it has a different sim inserted and then won't work.

I'll just try a 'wrong' sim from another carrier and let you know what happens. brb

No - just 'no service' - phone still works