Inadvertently Bought a Stolen iPhone

Discussion in 'iPhone 6' started by AdrianA1987, Dec 13, 2016.

1. AdrianA1987

AdrianA1987 New Member

So, i bought an Iphone6 off the app "Offer Up" awhile back. i tried to reset it, but it seems that it's still registered to another owners itunes. I cant get ahold of the kid who i bought it from because he deleted his account. is there ANYWAY i can use this phone?

2. RoofMonkey

RoofMonkey Genius
    Gold

You title your thread "I bought a stolen iPhone" ???

3. liberated

liberated Genius
    Gold

No, no way to get around iCloud lock. Best bet, sell it on eBay for parts.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List
  4. Ledsteplin

Ledsteplin Genius
    Gold

If it still has someone else's ID, it doesn't necessarily mean it's stolen. But there's nothing you can do without the Apple ID.

5. Europa

Europa Moderator
    Senior Moderator

It's definitely stolen and the seller knew it. The guy deleted his account after the sale. That's what they do. If he knew the Apple ID, he would have restored it and logged out of it.

You have to be really cautious when you buy them on eBay. If they are cheaper than normal, steer clear. Craigslist is better because you can check that nobody is logged into the Apple ID yourself. If you use eBay, have them send you photo of the Settings/About page with the serial number sitting next to a newspaper or a paper with the date written on it to prove it's a photo they are taking. And then you can use Apple's Online Tool to check the iCloud lock. If it's iCloud-locked it's still possible it's their login, ask them to remove it and then send another pic. If it's still locked and they give you a BS line about how they forgot their password, it's stolen.

The problem is, they could use another iCloud-unlocked phone in the photo with the serial and ship you an entirely different locked one. This is why I wouldn't buy one on eBay unless it's from a highly reputable seller who had been on it for a long time.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List