incase Slider Case scratched my iPhone 2G

joysmahal

May 17, 2008
Seattle, WA
I've had this case for 5 months now. I put up some pictures of the case when I first got it in this post:
http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/incase-slider-case-pictures-and-review.20074/

Well my original case that I got 5 months ago got replaced by incase because the bottom part that slides off developed a crack. I got my new incase Slider case last week and I noticed right away that the fit was really tight and the only way to put the bottom sliding part on was that I had to kind of bend the top to get it to fit.

I took the case off this weekend and I noticed this 1/2 inch long scratch on the side of the phone. It pretty much lines right up where the opening for the volume rocker is on the iPhone.

I'm pretty upset that my iPhone got this scratch mainly because the case did not fit properly. I will try and contact incase later today after work to see what they can do for me. By the way, I am not using the incase Slider any more.

Any suggestions on how I can handle this? Thanks....

Last edited by a moderator:

Hawk

Genius
Gold
Aug 2, 2007
ATL
That's a pretty serious scratch to be done by a plastic case. Looks more like a knife or razor blade was dragged along the edge of the opening for the volume button and silent switch.

rew001

Dec 3, 2008
Houston, TX
I was going to ask if it was the right slider, but then I actually read your post about having it for 5 months. That's a nasty scratch. I've had no experience with warranty, and how they actually handle stuff like this :(

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
I've had this case for 5 months now. I put up some pictures of the case when I first got it in this post:

http://forums.everythingicafe.com/threads/incase-slider-case-pictures-and-review.20074/

Well my original case that I got 5 months ago got replaced by incase because the bottom part that slides off developed a crack. I got my new incase Slider case last week and I noticed right away that the fit was really tight and the only way to put the bottom sliding part on was that I had to kind of bend the top to get it to fit.
Sorry I don't really know what to say about the scratch. I have a question for you though. You mentioned above that the bottom part of the case cracked and you were able to get a new one? I've had mine for about 6 months now and the removable piece is cracked quite a bit. What did you do to go get a new one? Was it at the Apple store or did you have to do it through incase?

kylegod

Silver
Jan 1, 2008
Bethlehem, Pa
There must have been something in the case like a lint sized rock or something. Anyway if your using a case most of the time who cares

rew001

Dec 3, 2008
Houston, TX
There must have been something in the case like a lint sized rock or something. Anyway if your using a case most of the time who cares

Well if he's like me, it's because it's irritating. And he knows it's there, and it shouldn't have happened.

kylegod

Silver
Jan 1, 2008
Bethlehem, Pa
I used to be the same way but after 4 iPhone returns I've learned to deal with minor imperfections that don't affect the performance of the phone

iLiam

Dec 18, 2008
Chesterfield
Surely if you can prove to Apple that your case did that you can take it back or they'll at least put part towards repair, ( Is it an Apple Slider One )

joysmahal

May 17, 2008
Seattle, WA
Sorry I don't really know what to say about the scratch. I have a question for you though. You mentioned above that the bottom part of the case cracked and you were able to get a new one? I've had mine for about 6 months now and the removable piece is cracked quite a bit. What did you do to go get a new one? Was it at the Apple store or did you have to do it through incase?
Sorry for the late reply... I got a replacement from Incase when my 1st Slider case cracked (the bottom part that slides off developed a crack). I submitted a warranty claim online from their website and I got a new one mailed to me in about 2 weeks. When I submitted the warranty exchange online there was a place where you could attach a picture of the damage. You also had to attach a copy of the receipt. So it helps if you have a scan of that.

I haven't bothered contacting Incase regarding this 2nd Slider case that damaged my iPhone and I no longer use the Slider case ever since the scratch. The Apple store will most likely not accept a return or replacement on the defective Slider case in your situation because they won't accept returns outside of the 14 day mark.

joysmahal

May 17, 2008
Seattle, WA
I highly doubt it was a lint sized rock, but it could be. Like I said in my first post, I had my first Slider case for about 5 months and it worked just fine. It was easy to take on and off. But after awhile it developed a small crack and I had Incase replace it for free.

When they mailed me a new one, I noticed that it didn't fit smoothly right away. The fit was very tight. Well... what's done is done and there's no way for the scratch to disappear. It's not worth my time to try and contact Incase a 2nd time over the same problem so I just got over the fact that there's a small scratch. I no longer use the Incase Slider, instead I just use a ZAGG Invisible Shield.

I tried using a Case-Mate Naked Case 2 for the iPhone, but I just didn't like it that much. I'm selling the Naked Case now and just sticking with the slim profile look of the Invisible Shield.