Incase Users Input Needed

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

zteg

Jun 26, 2007
I need some input from the Incase users to maybe find out why some people are experiencing scratches on the chrome bezel and some are not. I'll list a few questions for people to answer, but if you have any input, feel free to leave that too.

0. How long have you had your Incase?
1. Do you have scratches on the chrome bezel?
2. If yes, are there a significant amount? aka This
3. How many times have you removed your incase?
4. Where do you normally carry your iPhone?
5. What else do you carry along with the iPhone in the same pocket, backpack, etc. if anything at all?

Thanks for any replies for some insight on this problem.

thedwp

Bronze
Jun 24, 2007
I need some input from the Incase users to maybe find out why some people are experiencing scratches on the chrome bezel and some are not. I'll list a few questions for people to answer, but if you have any input, feel free to leave that too.

5. What else do you carry along with the iPhone in the same pocket, backpack, etc. if anything at all?

GEEZE! Thats awful. I have a black incase protective shield.

1. I do have a few minor chrome scratches but not near as bad as your pix.
2. minor
3. I've removed it several times as my case has stretched. Which I called Incase and am getting a replacement. (see my post)
4. Either in my hand or front pocket.
5. I make sure there are no keys or coins.

But I just put one of those Chrystal screen covers you can get from Apple and I LOVE that and now I'm not so paranoid...however, it does not cover the chrome. If the incase is a good one, it should cover the chrome fine and the shield will do the rest.

If you really think your case caused those scratches call incase...they were VERY helpful and seem to stand behind their products.

zteg

Jun 26, 2007
That pic isn't of my iPhone. Just something I found while trying to research the incase scratch problem. Thanks for your response.

burniksapwet

Silver
Jul 5, 2007
Have mine since I bought my iPhone. Only took it out once and up until now it doesn’t have any scratches on it. (Knock on wood) I also have the crystal film set for my screen.

Jul 7, 2007

1. I bought my Incase on July 2, 2007.
2. Yes scratches on chrome bezel not quite as bad as piics posted but it was getting there so I took it off for good.
3. Removed it maybe five times in two weeks to charge on dock.
4. Carry iPhone in my right front pocket.
5. Nothing is carried with it. Keys remain in left pocket. coins in coin pocket.

Do you work for Incase? because it almost sounds like you maybe trying to recreate these problems in a lab.

mullman

Jul 18, 2007

0. Since iPhone Day 6.29
1. Yes
2. Some on the sides, but mostly on bottom near button
3. Maybe 10x
4. Right front pocket of pants or shorts or rear pocket if jeans
5. Nothing

I have since removed the case and ordered an Orbino.
Right now using iPhone naked and love it!

Skipper

Bronze
Jul 18, 2007
bought the incase when I dropped my phone on a carpeted floor and though "Boy, im clumsy!"
no scratches, BUT I take it off and clean it out every night when I put it on the charger. Ive noticed that when I plug in the Monster headphone splitter that I bought from Apple, the headphone jack fits in the recess of the iPhone, but its a pain to get the thicker end through the incase. This causes warping on the top end, leaving the openings wider and more accessible to dirt.

other than that, I love it!

zteg

Jun 26, 2007
Do you work for Incase? because it almost sounds like you maybe trying to recreate these problems in a lab.
No, I don't work for incase but I do have a lab. Muhahaha...

No, seriously. I'm just trying to figure out why some people say there are no scratches and some say there are. Thanks for the replies.

rollerbones

Bronze
May 14, 2007
Ohio
I have the case...I don't see how people would get scratches from the rubber on the plastic...UNLESS there is dirt between the iPhone and case that rub.

JnC

Bronze
Jun 17, 2007
I need some input from the Incase users to maybe find out why some people are experiencing scratches on the chrome bezel and some are not.
I don't see how people would get scratches from the rubber on the plastic...UNLESS there is dirt between the iPhone and case that rub.
Ding. Ding. Ding.

The top 5 reasons why some people are experiencing scratches:

1. They have debris in their pants pocket.
2. They have debris in their pants pocket.
3. They have debris in their pants pocket.
4. They have debris in their pants pocket.
5. They have debris in their pants pocket.

If this isn't clear, I can give you reasons 6 through 10 too. :p

Jul 16, 2007

I've had mine since the first evening. No scratches. I remove my case to charge the phone. I do keep it in my purse.

Corduroy

Jul 19, 2007
San Diego, CA
Ya I can't believe a silicone case would have caused those scratches shown in the first post. I bet that person went to the beach and some sand got in their pocket and made it's way between the cases and the phone!

SDiPhone

Jul 22, 2007
It's Apple, not the incase?

Has anyone stopped to think that Apple may have shipped out the iPhone with scratches already on them? The moment I opened my iPhone I noticed hairline scratches on the chrome. I bought the Incase and loved it ever since. The scratches have not gotten worse at all which tells me the case is not the problem. I have a hard time believing the case is causing the scratches. I think Apple simply had production issues with the chrome and people are just noticing it after reading bad reviews on the incase, removing the case and finding the scratches. If the case stretches, I have found it very useful to run it under hot water. The incase tends to fit very slug again.

radar7

Jul 27, 2007
inCase will scratch your phone - guaranteed

Ding. Ding. Ding.

0. Had it for 1 week.
1. Yes, scratches on the bottom panel, near the home button.
2. Significant (especially for time period the case was on), but not nearly as bad as RATIO
3. 4 times in 1 week to dock the phone
4. Carried almost exclusively in hand, 1 time in my front pocket, with no "debris" in it.
5. Flies solo in my pocket or hand.

Everyone has "debris" in their pocket, duh. I don't think it takes a genius to figure out it is debris causing the scratches. The problem, because the way the inCase is designed, it makes for a breeding ground to catch that "debris" and harvest it in your case. It seems to me that your bound to get scratches near the bottom because that is where the home button is. Think about it - everytime you "Slide to Unlock" your moving that "debris" against the chrome surface. That will surely scratch your iPhone.

I promptly returned mine to the Apple Store, but the manager wouldn't exchange my iPhone. He recommended I call Apple Care. I did and spoke to a product manager. He wouldn't exchange it either but encouraged me to email him pics of the scratches that he would then forward on to engineering. If anyone wants that email address, contact me.

The inCase WILL scratch your iPhone - guaranteed.

tys

Jul 19, 2007

0. Since July4th, same a iPhone
1. None at all
2. n/a
3. Maybe 3 times per week
4. Shirt or pants pocket, sometimes clipped to belt
5. Pens, ID badge, occasional pieces of paper

it's the olive canvas and leather model

nhkid

Jul 30, 2007
I too have the scratches. I bought the case a couple of weeks ago. I keep it in my pant pocket or sitting on my desk. When it is in my pocket there is nothing else in with it. :(

Zman-iPhone

Bronze
Jul 26, 2007
Ding. Ding. Ding.

hell yes i agree with this guy
i've had one for 26 days and not a scratch.
i remove it everynight for cleaning.
it says right on there that you need to make a cleaning schedule and clean it often

0 scratches on the chrome bezel

bsm007

Aug 25, 2008
incase scratches ipod

> less than 2 months

> I have 6 scratches! mostly on the right edge of my ipod

2. If yes, are there a significant amount?
> yes

> 9 times

> my pocket (not in an Incase) -- The scratches on my Ipod definitely came from Incase :(

> nothing