Incoming call name display

PDACPA

Silver
Jan 16, 2008
Florida
I was wondering how everyone programmed their contacts for display on incoming calls.

For example: I have my wife listed with all of her contact information. When she calls me from home it will say her name or home and if she calls from work it says her name or work. The only time it just says her name is when she calls from her cell phone.

On my old Razor, I used to have each phone number have its own entry. Then it would say Wife-Cell, Wife-Work, Home, Friend-work, friend-cell, etc.

I would like it to display that way on the iPhone, but then I end up with multiple contacts for each person.

Any ideas or alternatives?

Thanks

Deke736

Bronze
Jul 24, 2008
Near St. Louis, MO
I think you're going to have to setup multiple contacts for each user for it to display the way you want. Otherwise, I think you are stuck with your current configuration.

Matt

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
I think you're going to have to setup multiple contacts for each user for it to display the way you want. Otherwise, I think you are stuck with your current configuration.

Matt
Yep. I used to do that with my old phone because SIM contacts only allowed one number back in the day. But now that the iPhone is smart (sorta) I have it the normal way with multiple numbers per contact. I just think its weird how it decides which one is the main number...

PDACPA

Silver
Jan 16, 2008
Florida
I do not understand why it cannot just say the person's name and then how you categorized the number (mobile, home, work, other).

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
I do not understand why it cannot just say the person's name and then how you categorized the number (mobile, home, work, other).
It does lol. Right under the name.

BrownGem

Zealot
Gold
Feb 27, 2009
Texas
Mine displays the name...and home, mobile...etc.

PDACPA

Silver
Jan 16, 2008
Florida
So does mine, but it will say: Joe Home or Work instead of distinguishing which number is incoming from the caller id and saying Joe Home or Joe Work.