Incoming calls coming up as 'Unknown Caller'

1. st3wy

st3wy New Member

Sorry if this issue has been brought up, ive tried searching the forums for it but no luck..

Basically every person that have tried to call me have been coming up as an 'Unknown Caller' and yes the people who have called me are stored in my iPhone contacts.

Is there something I have to set on the iPhone? or would this be a network problem that I should ring up about?

Thanks for the help,

st3wy

2. MileHighRob

MileHighRob Zealot Gold

If the names and numbers are stored in your contacts, they shouldn't come up as "unknown" unless they are blocking the information prior to dialing your number. Although those calls usually come up as "blocked" caller in my area w/ AT&T.

3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. AmyLyn

AmyLyn Member Bronze

This is happening to me fairly often too. Most noteably when my husband calls me from work. It always showed up as him before, now suddenly he is "unknown" and since I tend not to answer unknown callers it is really annoying! LOL

5. st3wy

st3wy New Member

lol, yes I would rather not answer an Unknown Caller, but atm I have no choice :(

MileHighRob, yes all the names/numbers are stored in my phone, ive contacted them to see if they did indeed have their numbers blocked, which they didn't. I even tried using my house phone to call my mobile (my house phone is not blocked) and still comes up as Unknown Caller :(

Im in Australia using Optus, I guess ill give them a ring and see if it may be something on their side

6. naviwilliams

naviwilliams Evangelist Gold

I'm guessing you don't have the same number in more than one contact, do you?

As a test, remove/add your home number, and then test it, and see what gives.

7. MileHighRob

MileHighRob Zealot Gold

That doesn't matter. I have my gf's # programmed as both her name and ICE (in case of emergency). Whenever she calls from that number it says Naome or ICE calling.

8. Ramesh

Ramesh Zealot Gold

Call Att and make sure your account is setup corrrectly. My Voicemail quit working because it had "expired". WTF?

9. Katee

Katee New Member

ooooh i was hoping someone had an answer to this :( i just got my iPhone a couple of days ago and its really annoying not knowing who is calling me all the time especially because i pretty much never answer private numbers. :(

10. Europa

Europa Genius Senior Moderator

I've been trying to figure that out for months. My work numbers always show up as "Unknown," but as soon as the calls go to voicemail, they show up as the contact name, "Work." They used to show up as the contact name while the phone was ringing.

11. Katee

Katee New Member

soo i went into the 3 shop yesterday and the guy fixed it in about 5 minutes. turns out all that had to be done was a quick phone call to 3 care so my caller id could be reactivated. apparently its a common thing with iPhones. hope this helps you! :)

12. Europa

Europa Genius Senior Moderator

3 care?.......

13. Zanthe

Zanthe #apple Gold

Yeah what is that?

This just started happening to me too in the last two weeks or so. I think it's a tele-marketer. I've been getting some "unknown" calls usually around 7-8 at night. I don't even answer. Actually I did once and nobody was on the line.

WTF? Anybody have any realistic idea how to trouble shoot this? Maybe call AT&T and ask them (not this week LOL)?

14. SikPup

SikPup Member Bronze

I has the same # in two contacts and when the phone rang it said Pat or Mike. It actually showed both names.