Incoming Text Alert

socal

Bronze
May 12, 2009
www.mobileverve.com
I might have a serious problem with incoming text alerts that may require me to get a pager. :oops: Hopefully someone has a solution.

I'm going on-call and need to receive critical text alerts via my iPhone. I only see the 6 choices for sounds for new text alerts. None of them repeat. I'm afraid that they may not wake me up, being as brief as they are. My old phone had an option to chose any sound, and replay them if the text is not acknowledged. It look like on the iPhone, I only get a short sound and if I miss it (likely at night), then I'm in trouble.

Any solution around this for the 3G? I need the alert to go off until responded to. OMG, I really don't want a pager!

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
In 3.0 the text alert will repeat twice, that's probably not enough to wake me up, don't know about you. You may be able to jailbreak and get the funtionality you want, and you could replace your text alert with something that is a little longer in duration.

socal

Bronze
May 12, 2009
www.mobileverve.com
I'm not interested in jailbreaking for this. Its really not something I feel that I should have to do.

This is a glaring, major, oversight on Apples part. Does Apple not feel that iPhone users may actually use them for businesss needs and require the phone to provide suffient alert to wake one up on an inbound text message?

It really needs an option to select longer duration sounds, and replay them more than once.

I'm disappointed. Hopefully someone has a solution. Meanwhile I'll call Apple.

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
It's unfortunately something that people have been asking for for quite some time. It took them forever to finally get ringtones on the phone so who knows how long it will take (if ever) for them to change txt message tones. It would be really nice.

socal

Bronze
May 12, 2009
www.mobileverve.com
I just spoke with Apple. They could not find anything to do with 2.2. Maybe 3.0. This does not help me for this weekend.

Shocked is about the best way to describe finding out that such a basic need is not fulfilled on the iPhone. I'm seriously starting to regret not getting a Blackberry.

It seems my options are:

+ risk missing a page (this could be detrimental to employement)

+ go buy a Blackberry (this could be very expensive given my new iPhone contract)

+ quickly find a way to hack the phone to make it do what it should do now.

Apple missed the boat here folks. I'll call ATT to find out how much it will cost me to get a Blackberry.

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
+ quickly find a way to hack the phone to make it do what it should do now.
If you go this route....
Quickpwn to jailbreak
status notifier (in cydia - free) to set up repeating alerts
Tone FXs (in cydia - iPhone app and you need the desktop companion - free trial like 5 bucks to buy) to change your sms tones and alerts. You can actually do this for free, manually, but it's worth the money for the headache free ability to change your alerts

termleech

Zealot
Gold
Sep 7, 2007
McPherson, KS
yes, the jailbreak + ToneFX option is probably your best option. It's a little bit of work (albeit easy work) and would save you a bunch of money from having to buy a new phone.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
No offense but I think the problem here is we rely too much on technology. Expect it to do everything all the time, every time. It can't, and it won't. I think I posted this somewhere else but you are blaming Apple for not making the phone constantly beep on a text (it will in 3.0 but only 3 times) when the phone was never advertised to do so. If you really want to modify the phone to do what you want, then maybe jailbreaking is for you.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Jailbreaking is your best (and really, only) option here. Even though it is not apple-supported, it hardly makes the phone unreliable - and I know you need reliability for businesss purposes. If you absolutely need new text tones, jailbreaking is the only route you can take. If you do decide to jailbreak, check out this video for instructions on changing the present tones.

socal

Bronze
May 12, 2009
www.mobileverve.com
I called the store I bought it from and today is actually the very last day that I can return the phone for a $30 restocking fee. I could have got the Bold, without losing my a*s.

I decided to keep the iPhone. I like it too much to get rid of. I'm really hoping that the issue is resolved in 3.0. For now, I'll turn it up all the way, put the most annoying sound on, and hope it wakes me. If they don't fix it in 3.0, I'll take a company pager. Yep, 2009 and thinking about a pager. Thats kind of amazing, as I was laughing at pagers 5 years (or more) ago.

As for jailbreaking, I don't feel that is a good solution for me. Techically its not a problem. I don't really care about the warranty either. I won't do it because I'm not satisfied that the phone would be secure afterwards. Frankly I don't trust the likes of QuickPWN. The last thing I need is a backdoor or malware of some type on my phone, given some of the info that is stored on it (passwords, etc).

socal

Bronze
May 12, 2009
www.mobileverve.com
No offense but I think the problem here is we rely too much on technology. Expect it to do everything all the time, every time. It can't, and it won't. I think I posted this somewhere else but you are blaming Apple for not making the phone constantly beep on a text (it will in 3.0 but only 3 times) when the phone was never advertised to do so. If you really want to modify the phone to do what you want, then maybe jailbreaking is for you.
Apple is in the businesss of creating and selling top end products. They've been in the phone businesss a number of years. Yeah, maybe the iPhone immediate market is not the businesss crowd like Windows Mobile or BlackBerry. But simple alerting options for text messages are a basic. Even non-"smart" phones have such features. I do see it as a gapping hole, and do expect Apple to cover such basics in a phone that has been on the market a number of years and contends for top spot, and certainly is top dollar.

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
Repeating text tones have been around since 2.0, people. I'm not sure of the time in between, but they have been repeating for a while

I hope that setting an annoying sound at full volume works for you. I hate missing texts/alerts because I didn't hear it the first time. That is one this I preferred about my BB - the ability to manipulate (in depth) the sounds and vibrations of the phone.

socal

Bronze
May 12, 2009
www.mobileverve.com
Repeating text tones have been around since 2.0, people. I'm not sure of the time in between, but they have been repeating for a while

I hope that setting an annoying sound at full volume works for you. I hate missing texts/alerts because I didn't hear it the first time. That is one this I preferred about my BB - the ability to manipulate (in depth) the sounds and vibrations of the phone.
Ramesh, I can not find the option. I also called Apple and they confirmed it is not possible with the 3G 2.2.1.

However if you are correct it sure would be nice. :) Where do you find the ability to have repeating tones?

Ramesh

Zealot
Gold
Jul 12, 2007
Irvine, Ca.
Ramesh, I can not find the option. I also called Apple and they confirmed it is not possible with the 3G 2.2.1.

However if you are correct it sure would be nice. :) Where do you find the ability to have repeating tones?
Try this. Have someone text you. Don't read the text. It'll ding again I *think* within 5 minutes or so, and then once more.... I don't think they made it an option. It just does it.

socal

Bronze
May 12, 2009
www.mobileverve.com
Thanks Ramesh. I tried it and it did repeat once, so that is 100% better, but still 300% insufficient. :laugh2:

In the other thread, the doctor mentions the important need for certain users. I'm in that class. Can't miss texts at night. Apple needs to fix this. I should be able do define any tone for a text alert and how long I want it to repeat.

iNinja

Zealot
Gold
Aug 8, 2008
UK
The issue is not resolved on 3.0, many people have been using the beta and pre release version and its not an option in that. Although, its definatly something that could be added in a 3.01 etc update