Incoming Text Messages

Discussion in 'iPhone 4S' started by Ayamgah, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Ayamgah

Ayamgah New Member

I live in Ghana and use an iPhone 4S with the local Vodafone network. My problem is when I receive a text message it does not come in the name of the contact in the phone but rather with the telephone number with the country code. I am thereforee unable to figure out the name of the sender. In other words, the phone keeps the outgoing text messages in the name of the contact and incoming messages the number. How do I solve the problem?

2. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

Do you have the format of the phone numbers correct for the contacts? Look at how the numbers show in the text message and then match it for ONE contact

See if the text window updates to show the same name.

Sent using iCafe app

3. ivantwilliams

ivantwilliams Evangelist
    Gold

Do you have the format of the phone numbers correct for the contacts? Look at how the numbers show in the text message and then match it for ONE contact

See if the text window updates to show the same name.

Sent using iCafe app

4. Ayamgah

Ayamgah New Member

The problem is that incoming country call numbers are without the country code but incoming texts are with the code. So even if the local contacts are stored with the code it means incoming calls will not also be recognized.

Sent using iCafe app

5. Docd

Docd Contributor
    Silver

Have you tried turning on dial assist. Don't know if it will help with the issue but it is worth a try.

6. Ayamgah

Ayamgah New Member

Thanks but I don't have any idea what Dial Assist is and how to turn it on. Can you educate me on that, sir.

7. Docd

Docd Contributor
    Silver

I never used it but it suppose to add your prefixes automatically. To use system/phone/dial assist.

8. Ayamgah

Ayamgah New Member

I think dial assist may be bail able depending on the network operator, especially US based networks. My phone is a factory-unlocked phone used in Ghana. I've not located dial assist in the phone strings after conning it. I used a 3G iPhone before using 4 and now 4S. It is only the 4 & 4S that are giving this particular problem.

Sent using iCafe app

9. CanadianNemo

CanadianNemo Genius
    Gold

Could you have 2 numbers saved for every contact, one with the country code and one without? It would be a pain to set it up, but unless I'm misunderstanding you, it would solve your issue...

10. Ayamgah

Ayamgah New Member

Yes. You have understood me perfectly. That is a great idea. May have to do that for over 2,000 contacts! Lol. But then text conversations for incoming and outgoing text messages will be stored separately, and may not make meaning at times until you refer to the other. Hope u get the picture. Thanks.

Sent using iCafe app