Incorrect iMessage badge count on 10.10.2

Discussion in 'Mac OS X' started by MrMike6by9, Apr 3, 2015.

1. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

I upgraded my early 2011 MBP to Yosemite 10.10.2 last week. Today, I noticed that my iMessage badge count on the MBP shows 3 "unread messages/conversations" even though I've actually read them all on the MBP as well as my 5S and my iPad 2. Has anyone run across this problem or, more importantly, can anyone suggest a way to correct the displayed count without disabling the badge icon on the docked iMessage app?

advTHANKSance

2. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

Attention Moderators, I may have uncovered an answer suggesting that this is a bug in the iMessage app on the desktop. After doing some detective work, I discovered that 3 messages have one thing in common, there was an included contact that is NOT iMessage capable. Therefore, it's no longer a problem in search of an answer but might qualify as useful info for the community.

Some background, on March 19, the world welcomed my first grandson. As you can imagine, there has been a flurry of messages in the past 2 weeks. Everyone on these group messages has at least one iDevice except for one person. Two of the group messages include the non-iMessage capable contact. Those messages plus one that originated from a calendar app (a notification text) are marked as "unread" by the badge counter for the desktop messages app. The badge counter isn't at fault as much as iMessage erroneously labels the messages as unread because of the included non-iMessage capable contact. So, it appears this is a bug with the messenger app on Yosemite. I can't say whether this happens on Mavericks though.

Thanks

3. MoneyMaker79

MoneyMaker79 Genius
    Gold

Have you tried signing out and back into iMessage? I'm on beta Yosemite and haven't noticed this issue.

4. MrMike6by9

MrMike6by9 Evangelist
    Gold

I found a reddit discussion of this phenomenon to which I posted this ....

"I had a badge count of 3 and ultimately noticed that 2 group messages and 1 calendars/scheduled sms notification included numbers that were NOT iMessage capable sources/recipients. I somehow managed to disable the new/unread imessage badge icon and then deleted iMessage from the dock. I subsequently added it back. The next day, another group message, having been "read" on my iPhone, no longer displayed as unread. This had not been the case before I'd removed iMessage from the dock and then returned it and subsequently slept and restarted my MBP. I'm keeping a watch on this.
    YMMV