Increase Font Size in Safari--without zooming!

Discussion in 'iOS Software' started by Tinman, Aug 25, 2007.

1. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist

I can't imagine I am the only one frustrated by the fact that we can zoom entire Web pages in Safari, but not increase text size. And while it's cool that Safari will zoom in to a text column, for me the text is often just too small for comfort, mostly while in portrait orientation.

Before someone replies with, "I just zoom in with my fingers to see better." I know you can do that, but that often leads to having to scroll horizontally, which to me is a pain in the neck.

So I have a few bookmarklets that allow me to change text sizes within Safari. Right now I am still working to make it smoother, but I at least have some screenshots to show.

Below is an example of a thread here when zoomed in to a text column, in portrait orientation. On the left is standard Safari. While this is readable I would rather the text be larger, without having to scroll horizontally. So on the right I have applied my Font Size 18pt. To me it is more readable:

Enter that on one line in a bookmark on your computer than sync to the iPhone. You can create other sizes by changing 18 to something else. I also have one that pops up a dialog box where you can enter a text size.

Please note that the effect is only temporary: when you reload the page the page is back to normal. Also note that the operation is a little flaky, you might need to load the bookmarklet twice to get it to take effect. Oh yes, it can take about 5 seconds for the effect to occur.

Will need some tweaking. But I for one was glad to see this was possible.

--
    Mike
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 2, 2013
  2. The Toddfather

The Toddfather New Member

Nice going, the small font is annoying.
  3. Avatar

Sponsored Advertisement

4. Petronius

Petronius New Member

Enlarging Safari text on iPhone

I have a few bookmarklets that allow me to change text sizes within Safari. Right now I am still working to make it smoother,...Will need some tweaking. But I for one was glad to see this was possible.

Thanks - exactly what I was looking for. Have you developed it yet?
  5. Petronius

Petronius New Member

Bookmarklet problem?

Enter that on one line in a bookmark on your computer than sync to the iPhone. <<

I've done that but each time I click on it on the iPhone Safari, I'm taken to this website!

Am I missing something?

Thanks
  6. Petronius

Petronius New Member

Daah! Stupid me, I've now pasted the string properly and it does work!

Thanks
  7. styfle

styfle Zealot

is the only way to get it on the phone to sync bookmarks?
    because I currently don't sync bookmarks
  8. CallumBeau

CallumBeau New Member

Hi

When copy and this into safari, every time it changes it to:-

javascript:for(I=0;I<document.getElementsByTagName%20('*')

ANY IDEAS AS TO WHY???

Cheers

Callum
  9. Hondamaker

Hondamaker Genius

I believe you have to type it in as one long line of text.
  10. Lincoln

Lincoln New Member

Wow, really old thread..
  11. brettsinger

brettsinger New Member

true enough, but this is a huge help. Kind of amazing that Apple hasn't added a text-size feature to Safari. I guess they want their users to develop carpal tunnel... (Note: I don't actually think Apple wants anyone to develop carpal tunnel, but this bookmarklet saves me some screen swiping.)
  12. genericname

genericname New Member

How do I get that link into Safari? I don't import my bookmarks and I can't find the "<" symbol on the iPhone keyboard. And I can't copy/paste it!
  13. drchristo

drchristo New Member

anyone ever heard about an update? or some other way to increase font size in safari - and even iphone menus?
  14. Tinman

Tinman Evangelist

Well the bookmarklets still work.... but for a buck or so you can just use another browser that supports text sizing. Atomic Web and iCabMobile both have this feature. iOS Safari, alas, still does not.

Michael