Increase sync photo resolution

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Macindows

Jul 22, 2007
Hey guys,
is there a way of increasing the resolution of the synchronized photos I copy FROM my computer TO my iPhone? because when I zoom into the photos on my iPhone, they get a bit blurry. I think the resolution of the synced photos on the iPhone can't be larger than 640x480...any ideas?

DiscoJoey

Bronze
Jun 5, 2007
Hey guys,
is there a way of increasing the resolution of the synchronized photos I copy FROM my computer TO my iPhone? because when I zoom into the photos on my iPhone, they get a bit blurry. I think the resolution of the synced photos on the iPhone can't be larger than 640x480...any ideas?
hey ya make the photos tiff or psds. that should fix your problem :)

Macindows

Jul 22, 2007
No definitely not... :(
Does anybody know how to do that? I mean there must be an option somewhere in iTunes where I can change the resolution for all pictures which are being synchronized with the iPhone...

Wangmaster

Bronze
Jul 6, 2007
You must be crazy to have a 480X320 image saved as psd or tiff. The file size would be huge for no reason! I suggest changing the ppi (pixels per inch) in photoshop. Go to Image/Image Size/ change the resolution from 72 ppi to a higher ppi.

cdodkin

Bronze
Jul 2, 2007
SoCal
www.d30-images.com
Hey guys,
When I imported some hi-res files from iPhoto into the iPhone via iTunes, it did the re-sizing automatically.

Looks like it lowers the overall resolution to the iPhone screen size, so as soon as you zoom everything goes soft.

Probably done to conserve iPhone memory and keep the sync process short.

ciaran00

Bronze
Jul 21, 2007
I wouldn't be so sure about the sync process conserving memory. I have 1.06 Gig of photos, but it takes up 1.6 Gig on the iPhone. Not sure why. I've tried deleting all and starting from scratch.

Macindows

Jul 22, 2007
Went to the Apple store today. Explained them the problem about resizing pics and they told me to send my iPhone back to USA (I'm in London) because my screen would be broken! I was laughing so badly...:laugh2:

Macindows

Jul 22, 2007
I explained this guy the problem that when I zoom into a picture, the pic will get blurry. Then I asked the guy whether there would be an option of changing the size of the optimized pictures in iTunes.
He replied:
"No Sir, this is not a problem of iTunes but I guess it is the screen of the iPhone...yeah...if I look closely enough I can see the blurryness. (He was holding the iPhone close to his face and scanned it like a real pro) I guess you need to send it back to Apple to get it replaced.
And I just said, okay thanks, that'd be all. ;-)

Thank god there's competent staff at the Apple Store...

Mr. Glass

Jun 24, 2007
Well, ya...if you hold the phone close to your face and/or zoom on any pic it will lose it's resolution. If your photo starts at a smaller resolution, it won't help by zooming in on it....you're gonna lose quality. However, if you have a huge photo and zoom in on it you're not gonna lose as much quality because you're actually zooming to the native resolution of that particular photo. I don't agree that it's a problem with the screen...just the native resolution of the photos you're looking at.

Tinman

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 16, 2007
Aridzona
Well, ya...if you hold the phone close to your face and/or zoom on any pic it will lose it's resolution. If your photo starts at a smaller resolution, it won't help by zooming in on it....you're gonna lose quality. However, if you have a huge photo and zoom in on it you're not gonna lose as much quality because you're actually zooming to the native resolution of that particular photo. I don't agree that it's a problem with the screen...just the native resolution of the photos you're looking at.
No one thought the screen was a problem except, apparently, someone working in an Apple store in London. It was mentioned here for humor.

And "native resolution" means nothing when the photos are resized to a lower resolution during sync. Increasing synced resolution is exactly what this thread is about.

--
Mike

Sep 14, 2007
resolution on iPhone photos

I was also stymied by the lack of quality when zooming in on photos. I'm an illustrator, and one of my justifications for getting the iPhone was to carry my folio around in my pocket. I made a folio photo collection at 1000x1500 pixels because I wanted to be able to zoom in up to native screen resolution max (320 x 480).... but when I zoomed in, pics were muddly/blurry....not re-rezing with detail. I could not find a work around, and assumed that the on-board operating system was not re-rezing for some reason. I found this forum with a google search, and decided to email myself one of the larger photos in my folio, and sure enough, it comes via email as a 320x480 file. I went back to the iPhone prefs, and can find nothing that allows me to hold the native resolution of the iPhoto file during import...so it appears to be hard-wired in the import process. I understand this is probably to keep newbies from maxing out their phones meager 8gb storage with their family pics, but VERY frustrating as a pro. I hope Apple makes adjustments to allow higher rez pics SOON. Until then, I am stuck with two folios...one with no details, and one with details I have cropped from each image. The full rez pan and zoom sure would be nice...and very sexy in presentation to potential clients.

Dave

ppayne

Sep 25, 2007
Bringing this thread back

I am still looking for a way to move larger pictures over to the iPhone, I hate the too-small pics there now. Has anyone tried hacking the Photo Database located in private/var/root/Media/Photos? Making another program to move pictures into the database seems like a better route to go.

pitguedes

Nov 5, 2008
Temporary solution

I am still looking for a way to move larger pictures over to the iPhone, I hate the too-small pics there now. Has anyone tried hacking the Photo Database located in private/var/root/Media/Photos? Making another program to move pictures into the database seems like a better route to go.
Hi there! Cheers from Brazil! Just signed in for this forum to provide a temporaty solution for you and others. You can download to your iPhone any file manager program, such as Mobile Studio (Apple Store has it) and move into its folders as many pictures, documents and movies you wish, with the size and resolution you want. They syncronize over FTP. It's very easy and efficient.
On the other hand, what I really wanted most was to take photos with a better resolution with my iPhone, and that unfortunately I can't right now, unless there is also a third party program that lets me and I am not aware of it. Any suggestions, folks?

Dec 16, 2008
One day I was googling things to learn about my iPhone and I came across a tutorial about how to increase the default pixel settings on your iPhone display. I started reading it and it seemed interesting but I wasn't at my computer I sync my iPhone to so I kinda disregarded it at the moment and decided to search other stuff. Now that I went back to look for it, I cant find it. I wish I remembered what I actually googled on that query so that I get the same results....... My life sucks right now!