Indy's Official 3G iPhone News and Rumors Thread. *Submit*

danipoak

Silver
Dec 13, 2007
Not Alaska
I'd ditch AT&T if I could but only for T-mobile. I'd never go to sprint, and I've had enough of verizon. I'm planning on doing enough international travel here in the near future that a GSM phone is beneficial.

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
More hints at GPS for the next round...

http://www.iphonealley.com/news/more-gps-hints-found-in-sdk

More GPS Hints Found In SDK

Published by Edward Kirk on April 21, 2008 - 4:37pm. News

Stephen Voigt has found details in the iPhone emulator that show that the new software for the device has added support for true GPS hardware. While the specifics of how this functionality will manifest itself remain unknown, it appears that the software is now ready.
“Most computer programs that provide real time position information understand and expect to be in NMEA format. […] All proprietary sentences begin with the letter P and are followed with 3 letters that identifies the manufacturer controlling that sentence. For example a sentence would start with PGRM and Magellan would begin with PMGN.”
"locationd" also references-gathered information that mentions satellite status, latitude, speed, and magnetic variation.
[via iPhone Atlas]

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
behold, the Newton.

bask in its magnificence.

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
"More Claims of Unlocked 3G iPhones... Belgium, India, Australia?

Tuesday April 22, 2008 01:37 PM EST; Category: iPhone
Written by Arnold Kim

In February, Apple's COO, Timothy Cook said that Apple was "not married to any businesss model" with regard to the iPhone. Specifically, Apple's has received some criticism about their exclusivity contracts with specific mobile carriers, preventing customers from easily using other networks.

It appears this model appears to be eroding, at least in some countries. A recent report claimed that the 3G iPhone would launch in Italy as an unlocked phone, available for use with any carrier. The side effect of this move, however, could be higher retail prices for the iPhones. With the exclusivity deals Apple has in place, Apple earns a portion of monthly subscription fees from their network partners, such as AT&T.

Another report
from Belgium makes identical claims that a 3G iPhone will be arriving by the end of June. Again, the iPhone is expected to be compatible with all Belgian operators, though is expected to launch on Mobistar first as early as May. The decision may have been forced upon Apple, however, as Belgium specifically prohibits the sale of "locked" mobile phones.

Still, other reports have
hinted at similar distribution models in India and Australia later this year.

Despite technical measures in place to prevent the use of the iPhone on unauthorized networks, the practice of "unlocking" iPhones has become a big businesss with
reports that as many as 400,000 unlocked iPhones running on China Mobile's network."

Eragon

Zealot
Gold
Jan 8, 2008
Frederick, MD
iPhone developer kit adds enhanced OpenGL 3D support

FYI: Cross referenced to this thread for iMac as well:

Last edited by a moderator:

roytoy

Apr 24, 2008
I'd ditch AT&T if I could but only for T-mobile. I'd never go to sprint, and I've had enough of verizon. I'm planning on doing enough international travel here in the near future that a GSM phone is beneficial.
The problem is that there is no clear signal (no pun) indicating when will t-mobile have the band they bought for 3G released by the US government.

I swore never to use AT&T again in my life, and I have been good to my promise. Yes, I want a 3G iPhone, but I just bought a V1 and it is jailbroken and happy running on t-mobile.

Fortunately, since t-mobile wont have 3G for a while, I will remain happy with my V1 until the V2 has been hacked to bits and I can use whatever carrier I want.

Indy

Zealot
Gold
Jul 29, 2007
The problem is that there is no clear signal (no pun) indicating when will t-mobile have the band they bought for 3G released by the US government.

I swore never to use AT&T again in my life, and I have been good to my promise. Yes, I want a 3G iPhone, but I just bought a V1 and it is jailbroken and happy running on t-mobile.

Fortunately, since t-mobile wont have 3G for a while, I will remain happy with my V1 until the V2 has been hacked to bits and I can use whatever carrier I want.
Their working on it for release this summer.

Check out these recent stories:

http://www.iphonealley.com/news/app...e-software-keyboard-feature-deletion-gestures

http://gizmodo.com/381547/t+mobiles...t-may-in-nyc-coincides-with-3g-htc-touch-dual

List actual cities to first receive coverage v v v v

http://www.mobilemag.com/content/100/340/C15100/

;)