Info about Unlocked iPhones

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Target, Aug 2, 2012.

1. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

I'm nearing the end of my contract with AT&T on my iPhone 4. I've read here that AT&T has been unlocking the phones after the contract is up. As I understand it, unlocking the phone allows it to be used on any GSM based carrier. But I'm looking for the benefits here. I'm planning on selling my 4 when the next iPhone comes out.

In addition to the benefits of an unlocked phone, if I reset as new to remove my data, will it still be unlocked?

I don't really understand the whole unlocked aspect, so teach me eiC.

Thanks in advance.

Target

Sent from my iPhone 4 using iCafe app

2. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

well basically a locked phone is altered by the carrier
    The benefit of selling an unlocked phone are 1st you get people who like other carriers, pre paid or no contract looking at the phone as well. And 2nd you could sell out of the US (some countries pay more for a phone)
    At&T unlocks phones
    General Eligibility Requirements for Unlocking iPhone

AT&T will unlock an iPhone under the following circumstances:

• The person requesting the unlock is:
      • a current AT&T customer or
      • a former AT&T customer who can provide the phone number or account number for the account
    • The iPhone was designed for use on AT&T's network;
    • All contract obligations, including any term commitment, associated with the device to be unlocked have been fully satisfied; and
    • The iPhone has not been reported lost or stolen.

Additional Information about iPhone Unlocks

Current customers will be allowed five (5) unlocks per account, per year, so long as their account is in good standing with no past-due amount or unpaid balance and has been active for at least sixty (60) days.

Former customers will be allowed five (5) unlocks per former account so long as they owe AT&T no Early Termination Fee or other unpaid balance.

In addition, AT&T will unlock an iPhone for: (i) an active and deployed member of the military who is a current AT&T customer in good standing and is able to provide AT&T with deployment verification; and (ii) a person who purchased the iPhone from an authorized location at the "no commitment" price and can provide proof of purchase.

iPhone Unlock Requests

In order to request iPhone unlock, you should log in to your myAT&T account to contact us by email or chat. You may also contact AT&T Customer Care at 800-331-0500.

• Informative Informative x 1
    • List
  3. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

Thanks for that info. I get it. I surprised you can go pre-pay with and iPhone. That's interesting. I'll request it for my 4 and my wife's old 3Gs.

Does the iPhone stay unlocks after a reset? Restore? Hard reset?

Target

Sent from my iPhone 4 using iCafe app

4. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

YEs once it is unlocked through the carrier it's unlocked
    Yes pre paid and if you go to T-Mobil they help you fit the sim card

5. AZIANAPPLE

AZIANAPPLE Member
    Bronze

My iPhone 4 was on prepaid or what we Canadian's call it: Pay-As-You-Go. But now I'm a month to month plan that is contract free.

6. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

Just emailed AT&T for the unlock process on both the iPhones on my account. I just hit 2 years last week so I am now out of contract on both so hopefully it is a smooth process.

7. Target

Target Evangelist
    Gold

Please post how it goes. I'm ready to do the same.

Target

Sent from my iPad2 using iCafe app

8. Tattooed Alex

Tattooed Alex Genius
    Gold

Definitely.

9. imutter

imutter Genius
    Gold

Tattooed Alex we had to call to get the phones unlocked
    They do it over the phone

10. hmfc-1874

hmfc-1874 Contributor
    Silver

In the UK its not hard to get you phone unlocked, and providing your not late with any bills, you can get your phone unlocked during your contract, as really what your paying for is the contract its self as to oppose phone.
    some carriers charge £15 for it to be unlocked.
    a statement from UK Ofcom is below:

Am I legally entitled to a PAC code?
    [​IMG]
    Yes, according to Ofcom’s ‘General Conditions of Entitlement’ (May 2011) Condition 18. All mobile phone companies must provide a PAC Code to consumers who request it within 2 days of the request. If they do not, they must explain why they cannot release a PAC Code to you. Reasons include:

• Failed security check – You must prove your identity when you call customer services. If you cannot do so, your network reserves the right not to release your PAC Code. This is to ensure that nobody can “steal” your phone number.
    • PAC Code has already been issued – Once you’ve been issued a PAC Code, it is valid for 30 days. Your network won’t issue a new PAC Code if one has already been issued and is still valid.
    • Tied in to a contract – If you’re currently locked into a contract (i.e. the initial 18 months or 24 months you signed up for), you’ll have to pay off the remainder of the contract when you terminate your contract and request a PAC Code. These charges will appear on your final bill.
    Your network must issue you with a PAC code within 2 hours of your request. Typically you’ll be given the PAC code straight away over the phone but some networks will instead send PAC codes by text message.

11. fury

fury Evangelist
    Gold

It is apparently not exactly like using a factory-unlocked iPhone where you can more or less hot-swap the SIM. According to Apple and AT&T when I performed the unlock on my phone, the phone has to be restored and set up with the desired carrier's SIM installed in order to change carriers.

My iPhone 4 is now unlocked, I just need to find the time to set up a prepaid account somewhere to test out the unlock.

12. AeroCare

AeroCare Zealot
    Gold

I unlocked my 4 with AT&T and I didn't even have iPhone4 when I was with them. I have been away from AT&T for over a year now using T-Mobile on my other phone. I bought the iPhone 4 on Craigslist and since I left AT&T on good standing and with no debt they unlocked it for me. Now I'm using an iPhone 4S on Sprint and with the GEVEY I can use a T-Mobile sim and any other sim I use traveling the world on it too.