Info for selling my iPhone

jetflyer

Mar 5, 2008
Hello all, my first post.
i have a question about selling my iPhone. What steps should i take into getting back to condition like i bought it (stock). It is not unlocked or anything like that.
also are all my info like contacts stuff like that stored on my sim card? i removed my sim card and i see all my stuff are stored on the phone without the sim installed.
is it a good ideal to unlock it before i sell it?
thanks for the help :cool:

chcorey52

Silver
Dec 25, 2007
Ya you should definitely ulock before you sell...you will get a lot more for it and you should prob just try to clean the screen

jetflyer

Mar 5, 2008
ok thanks. but how about all my info on my iPhone how can i delete all that?

chcorey52

Silver
Dec 25, 2007
i believe restoring to factory settings will do that

jslappa

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
^^^Yup Yup^^^

Restore in iTunes and your iPhone will be back to stock. Keep your SIM card when you sell the phone, k?!

umbrabellator

Bronze
Jan 3, 2008
Hello all, my first post.
i have a question about selling my iPhone. What steps should i take into getting back to condition like i bought it (stock). It is not unlocked or anything like that.
also are all my info like contacts stuff like that stored on my sim card? i removed my sim card and i see all my stuff are stored on the phone without the sim installed.
is it a good ideal to unlock it before i sell it?
thanks for the help :cool:
Are you planning to upgrade to the second-generation iPhone? If so, I'd keep the one you have now. You aren't going to get much for it anyway, and if your new iPhone ever tanks and needs to be sent in to Apple for service, you can use your old phone as a backup, instead of paying Apple some outrageous rental fee.

Anyway, that's what I'm gonna do, cos I really don't believe that anyone will get more than about $100 (if that) for a used iPhone. It's hardly worth it.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Make sure you choose to restore as a new phone and not from backup, otherwise everything will go right back on your phone.

trnsilver

Zealot
Gold
Feb 2, 2008
Florida
They're selling for upwards of $400, gently used, restored, unlocked on eBay.

csi24

Nov 22, 2007
So after you restore the phone, should you take the sim card out and sell it without a sim card. Or do you just restore it keep the sim card in there.

Because if you do keep the sim card in the phone can't the person who buys the phone use your number?

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
I would take the SIM card out. They should have their own already. And yes, they could use your number if they had your card.

KabaModern

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
So after you restore the phone, should you take the sim card out and sell it without a sim card. Or do you just restore it keep the sim card in there.

Because if you do keep the sim card in the phone can't the person who buys the phone use your number?
Absolutely. That is your SIM card, with your mobile phone number assigned to it. Under no circumstances should you ever include that with your purchase. Take the SIM card out and put it into whatever new phone you're getting. I believe if you get a new iPhone, there is one already in there and it will activate it on that new one, but your old one you should keep.

jetflyer

Mar 5, 2008
Are you planning to upgrade to the second-generation iPhone? If so, I'd keep the one you have now. You aren't going to get much for it anyway, and if your new iPhone ever tanks and needs to be sent in to Apple for service, you can use your old phone as a backup, instead of paying Apple some outrageous rental fee.

Anyway, that's what I'm gonna do, cos I really don't believe that anyone will get more than about $100 (if that) for a used iPhone. It's hardly worth it.

yeah that was my plan to upgrade but u do have a good point about keeping it for a backup.
i thought i could get around 300 for it after checking out ebay and other sights like craigslist here.
also would my sim card have all my contacts or any other info on it?

jslappa

Bronze
Jan 18, 2008
Depending on how you stored them, yes your SIM could have some of your contacts in it. Also, no one will be able to activate your SIM with a new number, so there is absolutely no reason the buyer would ever need it, much less make use of it (other than cloning you number).

Want my advice? keep it, pay the $69 to extend the warranty for another year, and at the end of your warranty contract, refurbs might be gone, and you may get to upgrade to the 3G.

24trepid

Silver
Jan 13, 2008
Florida
I just sold my 16GB, unlocked on Ebay for $505.
And picked up an 8GB refurb from AT&T for $249.
Hell yeah, $250 in my pocket.......:)