Info: How to get faster 3G

sonicwind

Bronze
May 12, 2008
I've noticed and repeatedly confirmed, that if you hold your phone by the edges with your fingertips (rather than cupping the phone with the back of your hand, you get much better 3G access. Basically if you avoid blocking the antenna area while actually downloading pages, it's much faster. You can actually see the bars go from 1 to 3-5, in a matter of seconds when changing holding methods.

Romanesq

Bronze
Jul 11, 2007
Also if you do it standing up vs. laying down, the iPhone doesn't get pregnant.

Joon

Bronze
Jul 14, 2007
This is absolutely hysterical. You made my whole Monday with this one comment. I will be using this line and telling this thread to a lot of people today and what you just said.

sonicwind

Bronze
May 12, 2008
I thought the iPhone 3Gs came pregnant. Are you saying they're just fat?

scraggles

Bronze
Jul 17, 2008
Who are you kidding. Name one of us that doesn't want our iPhone to start popping out kids. Mine damn well better reproduce for 100$ a month!

sonicwind

Bronze
May 12, 2008
All joking aside, do other people see the same behavior? Or is it only my hands that inhibit the 3G signal? Could that be considered a super hero power?

Romanesq

Bronze
Jul 11, 2007
why thank you....

This is absolutely hysterical. You made my whole Monday with this one comment. I will be using this line and telling this thread to a lot of people today and what you just said.
Happy to make Monday a little more jolly. Appreciated.:cool:

cypher7810

Bronze
Sep 12, 2007
All joking aside, do other people see the same behavior? Or is it only my hands that inhibit the 3G signal? Could that be considered a super hero power?

mine does it to. I notice the antenna is much more sensitive on this model

jackz5o

Bronze
Jul 14, 2008
New Jersey
Do plastic/silicone/leather cases also block reception? If they do then I probably won't use one and just go with a full body invisible shield.

Still waiting for my 3G..

scraggles

Bronze
Jul 17, 2008
I'm not even getting a 'case'. I ordered a sleeve for when it's sitting in my pocket.

stevetim

Silver
Jul 20, 2007
The only thing that seems to affect my signal so far is electrical interference. Such as when I sit my phone on my home subwoofer.

I think the hand theory may be dependent on the quality of the signal you are receiving to begin with. Here in Miami, 3G has been pretty strong. I was using my laptop 3G modem and getting 4.5mbps download speed. On the phone I was around 1.47mbps.

Remember, from what I understand, you can receive 3G signal from multiple cell towers so this may explain why no matter how I hold the phone, I have strong signal.

mhochman

Bronze
Jul 16, 2008
Bar Harbor, Maine
Able to block 3g with his bare hands, look up in the sky, it's a bird, it's a plane it's.... <insert witty superhero name here>

DUKEL

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
S.D. CA 92109
This is soo true. If I cup the iPhone 3G at the bottom of the handset my bars go down. Let go and they go right back up. The antenna like the V1 is in the bottom of the phone.

sonicwind

Bronze
May 12, 2008
When I realized this I started holding it with 2 hands by the edges keeping my hands away from the bottom back of the phone during downloads. Experimentation reveals that pinching it at the top left or right with one hand yields the same benefit and frees the other hand for "other" things ;)

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
I don't notice this at all. Whether I cup the phone, or hold it with my fingertips, my signal stays exactly the same.

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Savio are you posting from your iPhone

j/k :p usually your not on around these times. . .wait your 2hrs behind me right? So your on your lunch break?

Last edited by a moderator:

DUKEL

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
S.D. CA 92109
I don't notice this at all. Whether I cup the phone, or hold it with my fingertips, my signal stays exactly the same.
Really firmly wrap your hand around the bottom of the iPhone. You should notice it. It happens on mine nearly every time.

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Really firmly wrap your hand around the bottom of the iPhone. You should notice it. It happens on mine nearly every time.
Alright. Ill try.

Edit: I tried it and still nothing for me...

Saverino

Zealot
Gold
Jun 1, 2008
Burbank
Savio are you posting from your iPhone

j/k :p usually your not on around these times. . .wait your 2hrs behind me right? So your on your lunch break?
I think 3 hours behind, and nope, computer. Im free today...actually I'm not. In an hour I'm gonna go hang out with friends.

Last edited by a moderator: