Infrared syncing: good idea?

Welcome to our Community
Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
i was thinking today that instead of having an annoying hole in our phones with various pins to get bent and dust/lint to settle into, a simple IR eye could replace the dock altogether. No physical connection would be needed... simply make the new "dock" an IR receiver and sync that way... and computers with IR wouldn't even need the dock.

I realize this is just more hardware that would have to get squeezed into a small package, but maybe if you completely remove the existing hard-connection it might be possible...

anyway, just throwin it out there...

tran_man

Sep 28, 2007
What would be nice is to sync via bluetooth like BlackBerry's. I hate having to connect my phone to the computer. It was great to be able to sync from across the room with no problems. Oh well, I know it isn't a BB.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I would love to have IR syncing.

I would still want to dock my phone on my desk in my room at night, but not hooking up the computer would be nice.

- John

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
IR's a pain in the butt. My friend and I used to try it and it's SLOW. Bluetooth is a much better method for file exchange.

And if we're talking about syncing with the computer, I wouldn't be surprised to see bluetooth or wifi sync sometime in the iPhone's future. It only makes sense.

acosmichippo

Genius
Platinum
Sep 10, 2007
DC
yeah, i guess bluetooth would make more sense.

still, any cordless method of syncing would compliment the style and technology of the iPhone.

i also realized that it's not possible to completely remove the dock connector, because you would still need some way to charge the phone.

solar panels, anyone?

xcissexc

Aug 9, 2007
IR is a pain because u have to point the 2 IR receivers at each other, you cant just keep your phone in your pocket to sync. it is possible to remove all wire connections from the iPhone, or any device. wireless charging already exists through induction. it pretty much works like a radio. u plug a unit into the wall with a very long radio wave length. the iPhone (or any device) picks up the radio wave through an inductor (coil of wire) and converts it into electricity. the only reason its no in commercial products yet is because the units are too large to fit into portable products. by the end of the decade im sure u will never plug your cell phone into a cable ever again.

Chris716

Nov 29, 2007
IL
yes i remember when i had a treo an was syning with someone else that had one the damn things had to be touching just to sync something lol bluetooth is awesome though can sync within 30 ft or so from someone

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
wireless charging already exists through induction...the only reason its no in commercial products yet is because the units are too large to fit into portable products.
Perhaps for "long distance" wireless charging, but my wet-dry Panasonic shaver from ... geez, at least 8 years ago now... uses induction charging so as to avoid any electrical contact points on the exterior (wouldn't wanna shave in the shower with that, now would ya). You need to slide it into its holster, but there is no lock or "click" or metal contact of any sort. I always thought that was cool.

I'm not sure I'd want a large scale version charging everything in my house... who knows what those kinds of loooong waves will do to your person...

xcissexc

Aug 9, 2007
I'm not sure I'd want a large scale version charging everything in my house... who knows what those kinds of loooong waves will do to your person...
thats why the units arnt for sale on the market yet. engineers are still working on a a unit that it small enought to fit in portable devices but strong enough to pick up the signal whihc doest travel far from the wall unit. the signal doesn't travel far so that i wont harm humans. u no smoke dedectors also produce radiation that gave u cancer, but thewaves are blocked really easily. the fcc would never allow something to go onto the market that can cause cancer.

Chris716

Nov 29, 2007
IL
IR syncing was nice in like 1999.
BT would be the way to go now.

lol thats so true would be good then why wont they allow us to do bt why wont they make that possible that makes me so mad all my other phones can do this and this phone is suspose to be so revolutionary and all

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Hey, as long as we're dreaming... why no Wifi sync? More people have this sort of connectivity compared to bluetooth networking.

As someone who's synced for years with BT, it's a PITA, AFAIK. Enough acronyms. Bring on the WIFI

doh.