insomnia - what background processes does it allow?

deenybird

Bronze
Jul 14, 2008
insomnia is available through cydia and claims to keep wifi etc operating long after phone is turned off.
for those who have used it: how long does it work for? will it keep programs running in the background like an IM app?

any info on this program is appreciated.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
From my experience on 1.1.4, it has been slightly hit or miss. But it is the most successful app of its kind. I use it with ColloQ irc client and it does fairly well if you're not moving around too much. Not so great on an edge connection. If you're on the move and hopping cell towers, nothing will keep you connected.

FWIW, I find it works best after a fresh reboot. Launch insomnia first and it should be the most effective.

deenybird

Bronze
Jul 14, 2008
so it will keep wifi on indefinitely after the phone sleeps? sounds good...
still would like a 2.0.1 user to comment on it's usefulness with IM apps

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
It is definitely more reliable with wifi, but not 100% effective. Again, a fresh reboot helps.

And just to be clear, if you're talking about IM apps available from the appstore, insomnia will not help there at all. They simply do not run in the background currently. Insomnia will only really help with other jailbreak apps that can run in the background.

Anyway why not just give it a go? Unless you're not already jailbroken, there's really no harm in trying it. You can always uninstall if it doesn't work to your satisfaction.