installapp or jailbreak?

RylenolFlu

Bronze
Feb 18, 2008
Hey everyone, I'm a noob to the next gen cell phones and am currently debating between getting the iPhone or the Tilt (8925 or Kaiser). I am leaning towards the tilt because of the GPS functionality and overall expanded functionality but can't stop thinking about how sleek and well designed the iPhone is. In keeping with this matter, does google maps give you directions? I mean as far as I know all google maps does on the iPhone is tell you where things are but not how to get to them, am I correct in assuming this? Secondly, is jailnbreaking and using the installapp two separate things. I don't think I'd want to alter any ROMs but I might want to use some apps from nativeiPhoneapps.com. By the way, can I install those apps at the site out of the box or do I need to get the installapp thing? Forgive me for my lengthy post, but I am extremely indecisive and want to select the best phone possible. Thank you for your time.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
In keeping with this matter, does google maps give you directions? I mean as far as I know all google maps does on the iPhone is tell you where things are but not how to get to them, am I correct in assuming this? Secondly, is jailnbreaking and using the installapp two separate things. I don't think I'd want to alter any ROMs but I might want to use some apps from nativeiPhoneapps.com. By the way, can I install those apps at the site out of the box or do I need to get the installapp thing? Forgive me for my lengthy post, but I am extremely indecisive and want to select the best phone possible. Thank you for your time.

Google Maps does give directions - you can view them on the maps views, or as a written list. It does not auto-update you position like a real GPS app would though, you'd have to keep hitting its Locate Me button to refresh your position, or use something like Navizon (a native app that requires jailbreak) that also offers a Sorta-GPS-like solution.

Yes, jailbreaking and using Installer app are two different things. Jailbreaking is the process of making your iPhone able to accept and install 3rd party apps. Installer is the primary source for 3rd party apps right now, and is the app you run to install them easily.

That nativeiPhoneapps site has a pretty misleading name, as most or all the apps it shows are just web applications - which are *not* native or local to the iPhone and do not require jailbreak etc.

RylenolFlu

Bronze
Feb 18, 2008
Okay, so I gather the jailbreak method is more risky, but can I destroy my iPhone with the install app?
So they are both used to get third party apps working, one is easy, but do they do the same thing technically to the phone? Thanks again!

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Okay, so I gather the jailbreak method is more risky, but can I destroy my iPhone with the install app?
So they are both used to get third party apps working, one is easy, but do they do the same thing technically to the phone? Thanks again!
Current jailbreak methods - especially the latest ZiPhone method - are really quite low-risk by now.
No, they don't both do the same thing. Jailbreak gives you access to all of the iPhone's file system, and enables you to install apps. That's it. Installer is an app that provides a central and easy point for browsing through and installing 3rd party apps.
Can you destroy your phone with the Installer app? = generally speaking, there are very few apps that have been seen to cause major issues, but there are of course some that may cause stability problems. It's a little like asking could you do any harm to a PC by installing something. There are a lot of apps out there by now for the iPhone. The vast majority work well and don't cause problems ...