Installed a new battery myself...

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
and it works! :)

Thanks to the website iFixit.com and the instructions they post about breaking down an iPhone 3G, I was able to install a new battery in my 3G. It's a little scary opening it up and seeing all the tiny, delicate parts but if you do it slowly and carefuly, it's not that big a deal. The hardest part was reconnecting one of the ribbon cables that goes from the display assembly to the main circuit board during re-assembly. There was no soldering involved but the battery itself required some gentle but firm lifting to break it free from the double-sided tape holding it to the inside of the back of the case.

After a full reset (holding the Sleep and Home buttons for 10 seconds) and a restart, everything is running fine. I didn't even lose any content during the operation.

It's a very cost effective way to extend the life of your 3G. The battery was $29.95 plus about $6 shipping and it comes with the tools you'll need (screwdriver and small plastic spudger). Apple charges over $80 for the same service but they'll do the work. After a year on the original battery, the new one is a noticeable difference. It's like a new phone.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Did you try getting it replaced under the one-year warranty?

Nicely done. I agree with the scariness when you first open up the 3G. The first time I did it (to replace the digitizer and glass) I was sure I would mess something up.

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
Did you try getting it replaced under the one-year warranty?
It was still holding about 60-70% of the original charge so it hadn't degraded enough to get replaced under warranty. I just wanted to do it.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
It was still holding about 60-70% of the original charge so it hadn't degraded enough to get replaced under warranty. I just wanted to do it.
Do they check that in store? My 3G has had abysmal battery life lately (yesterday I had to fully charge it 3 times) and I was thinking of going by Apple to have it checked out.

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
Do they check that in store? My 3G has had abysmal battery life lately (yesterday I had to fully charge it 3 times) and I was thinking of going by Apple to have it checked out.
It's worth a shot. Maybe they do, but I'd go before Friday or wait. I was just estimating, I didn't have it checked.

Youngbinks

Zealot
Gold
Jun 4, 2007
Atlanta, Georgia
Good thinking. I'll probably run by there after I take my puppy to the vet. Making an appointment now.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Quite a while back I ordered and received an aftermarket 1600mAh battery for my 3G. However, I wimped out after seeing that I had to solder a small piece of circuitry to the battery in order to install it.

PapaST

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
That pretty much sounds like what I went through with my battery. I was constantly having to charge it. I told them I was getting 2.5hrs of standby time they plugged it up and ran some tests then just gave me another phone.

PapaST

Bronze
Sep 10, 2007
BTW... good job on that replacement battery DCOM. Do you know what the mah was on the new battery? It would be interesting to see how high those batteries are getting nowadays. I'm sure some of the advertised ratings are a bit optimistic.

psylichon

Genius
Oct 31, 2007
Philly
Quite a while back I ordered and received an aftermarket 16mAh battery for my 3G. However, I wimped out after seeing that I had to solder a small piece of circuitry to the battery in order to install it.
All the better... 16mAh miiiight get you to the springboard from a fresh boot, but probably not. ;)

Thanks for the post, Drew. It's comforting to know that this isn't overly difficult if the need should ever arise. I'm probably going to try to eek 2 years out of my 3GS...

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
All the better... 16mAh miiiight get you to the springboard from a fresh boot, but probably not. ;)

Thanks for the post, Drew. It's comforting to know that this isn't overly difficult if the need should ever arise. I'm probably going to try to eek 2 years out of my 3GS...
Thanks for catching that for me, Dave. You're probably right about the bootup.

BTW, it's "eke," not "eek," unless you just saw a mouse. :p

Jul 19, 2008
London or Miami
Very good thread, btw. Is there a site that i could use to replace the backcover "white part" of my phone? I know it holds the camera and various other bits but i'd like to replace mine to increase the selling value since i wont have to explain all the cracks.

Jun 19, 2007
Upper Marlboro, MD
Something that may influence anyone's decision to sell their 3G:

Tomorrow night, the Dev Team is showing a video demo of the new yell0wsn0w software unlock for 3.0 with the new baseband (that will include the new 3GS). Check here tomorrow for the time of the demo:

http://blog.iphone-dev.org/

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
BTW... good job on that replacement battery DCOM. Do you know what the mah was on the new battery? It would be interesting to see how high those batteries are getting nowadays. I'm sure some of the advertised ratings are a bit optimistic.
I'm not sure, it looked like the same one that came out of the phone and only had the voltage listed so I'm guessing it's the same rating as the original.

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
Very good thread, btw. Is there a site that i could use to replace the backcover "white part" of my phone? I know it holds the camera and various other bits but i'd like to replace mine to increase the selling value since i wont have to explain all the cracks.
Try this thread. The guy may be able to get a replacement white back. The camera isn't permanently attached to the back, it sits in a hole behind the lens and is actually attached to the circuit board. It's easy to remove it from the hole when you take out the circuitry. The back has the volume buttons and silence switch along with some ribbon cables attached to it but should be no problem to replace if you find one.

Last edited by a moderator: