Installer 4 (beta) to be in Pwnage 2.0.2

Kevio

Bronze
Jul 30, 2008
Rachet City
Let me ask a question. I've already updated to 2.0.1. And I'm not sure if I read it wrong but will I still be able to jailbreak/pwn my iPhone?

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
Yes, after they release Pwnage 2.0.2. The current version of Pwnage (2.0.1) won't jailbreak a 2.0.1 iPhone.

Kevio

Bronze
Jul 30, 2008
Rachet City
Yes, after they release Pwnage 2.0.2. The current version of Pwnage (2.0.1) won't jailbreak a 2.0.1 iPhone.
Let me rephrase my question. Will pwnage 2.0.2 jailbreak my 2.0.1 iPhone?

Sorry for the confusion in my first post

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
Let me rephrase my question. Will pwnage 2.0.2 jailbreak my 2.0.1 iPhone?

Sorry for the confusion in my first post

Yes it will. Pwnage 2.0.2 should be released sometime Friday. (take from their blog)

Also note to 3G users who possibly want to unlock their phone in the future when it's available.

Warning: If you care about the possibility of a GSM/3G unlock in the future (there is no unlock available as yet), do not update your 3G device with iTunes unless you do it via PwnageTool 2.0.2 (this means you’ll need to create a custom .ipsw with PwnageTool 2.0.2 and install it using iTunes) - If you have updated over the last few days with iTunes, you’ll still be able to Jailbreak using PwnageTool 2.0.2 but it may reduce the chance of you being able to unlock the Phone to be able to use a SIM card from all carriers in the future.

BigCiX

Zealot
Gold
Jul 11, 2008
Bakersfield, CA
all this pwnage confuses me. is it worth it just to have a custom background with clear icons?

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
all this pwnage confuses me. is it worth it just to have a custom background with clear icons?
It provides a lot more than that. Along with theming, Installer and Cydia provide access to apps that won't make it onto the AppStore. You can also fully access the iPhone's filesystem with MobileFinder or via SSH, instead of a "sandbox" version of the system.

Megkins

Bronze
Nov 1, 2007
Bay Area, CA
To me it's worth it for even just that....but it offers a whole lot more (apps). I just don't think I could live with a black background and a screen full of icons :)

Kevio

Bronze
Jul 30, 2008
Rachet City
I can't decide if I really want to go through with jailbreaking my 3g when pwnage 2.0.2 comes out. For all you jailbroken iPhone'rs out there...are the jailbroken applications that good?

Witness

Zealot
Gold
Jun 18, 2007
Miami,Florida
I can't decide if I really want to go through with jailbreaking my 3g when pwnage 2.0.2 comes out. For all you jailbroken iPhone'rs out there...are the jailbroken applications that good?
yes im just like you , i don't know if i should jailbrake, i don't want my phone to be more unstable than it already is

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
yes im just like you , i don't know if i should jailbrake, i don't want my phone to be more unstable than it already is
It won't be more unstable unless you make it. If you install bad apps, tamper with parts of the filesystem you don't know about, etc, then yes, it can become more unstable and unreliable. However, if you take care not to go wild with it, you should be fine. Just decide whether or not what jailbreaking offers is worth it to you.

michael180

Zealot
Gold
Jun 14, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA
moderntimes.com
I think when the dust settles, the jailbroken apps available through Cydia, and Installer will be much better. One reason is that the third party programmars are not beholden to Apple and the SDK. That's my opinion anyway.

dangerouslaser

Bronze
Aug 4, 2008
North East
there is already a jailbroken 2.0.1 ipsw floating around the web for all you with 3g phones that can't wait.

dcom

Zealot
Gold
Aug 7, 2007
Suwanee, GA
It's not that the JB apps are necessarily that much better than what you can get at the App Store, but in many cases, they can do more. The people writing them aren't limited to what the SDK allows and they don't have to answer to Apple about what can and can't be made available or when.