Installer crashes during package install - 1.13

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I have sucesfully installed about six apps from Installer on 1.13. However, I was trying to download some wallpapers from BigBoss, and then Installer crashed. The wallpapers do show up in the Wallpapers section.

The same thing happened when I attempted to download SysInfo. The app does not show up on the SpringBoard, however it is in the applications folder in MobileFinder.

- John

x666x

Bronze
Jan 24, 2008
You may have run out of disk space.

Uninstall one or two apps and try to install BossTool, .34a.

From there tap the top button to move apps to save diskspace. You're not going to move anything, we just want to see what it reports for how much free memory is available. If you find you're at 0, try letting BossTool move your Wallpapers folder over and see if it increases your available space. If so, move down the list testing after each move, with Applications last.

I've freed up 26 megs on my OS partition, by moving the apps over. Now that they're on the media partition, I won't ever run into that problem again.

If BossTool doesn't appear to be doing anything, you're not on the current version which works with 1.1.3. You may need to add http://sleepers.net/iPhonerepo to your sources to find it.

enigmanic

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
John,
Please let us know if x666x's suggestion works. I am interested to know if it's a problem with MMI's Installer package, or if it is just an issue of space. Right now, I'm jailbroken again using Nate's JB method (but with 1.1.3 baseband). So far, I've had no problems installing apps...and I have not even done a symlink to free up space yet. When I had use MMI's method, it was hit or miss on what I could install.

EDIT: this is only if you use MMI's Installer to jailbreak your phone. If you used another method, please ignore.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
You may have run out of disk space.

Uninstall one or two apps and try to install BossTool, .34a.

From there tap the top button to move apps to save diskspace. You're not going to move anything, we just want to see what it reports for how much free memory is available. If you find you're at 0, try letting BossTool move your Wallpapers folder over and see if it increases your available space. If so, move down the list testing after each move, with Applications last.

I've freed up 26 megs on my OS partition, by moving the apps over. Now that they're on the media partition, I won't ever run into that problem again.

If BossTool doesn't appear to be doing anything, you're not on the current version which works with 1.1.3. You may need to add http://sleepers.net/iPhonerepo to your sources to find it.
Interesting thought; this may be what's wrong. I'll go try it now.

- John

x666x

Bronze
Jan 24, 2008
John,
Please let us know if x666x's suggestion works. I am interested to know if it's a problem with MMI's Installer package, or if it is just an issue of space. Right now, I'm jailbroken again using Nate's JB method (but with 1.1.3 baseband). So far, I've had no problems installing apps...and I have not even done a symlink to free up space yet. When I had use MMI's method, it was hit or miss on what I could install.

EDIT: this is only if you use MMI's Installer to jailbreak your phone. If you used another method, please ignore.
I think we can say this affects the "official" jailbreak for sure. I ran into this very problem with 1.1.1 now that I recall, and that was the last time I ever bothered with symlinking, I didn't need to on 1.1.2.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Hmm, I did use the MMI package to do it, as SSH does not work for me. (As to why I do not know - I get some sort of Error message when attempting it, and I do have OpenSSH installed). Should I redo the process? I definitely will if the BossTool method doesn't work, but does the package affect anything else?

- John

x666x

Bronze
Jan 24, 2008
Restart your iPhone and your SSH client if its not working for you. I ran into this problem, and actually reinstalled Open-SSH a few times to be honest. At one point I thought I screwed myself by uninstalling it in the first place but I was looking for answers and figured a fresh install would fix it.

It did, about 3 tries later.

Again, restart your iPhone and your client if you're not getting a connection. I've ran into this problem under Cyberduck AND WinSCP on Leopard and VMWared XP.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I get the problem in Fugu - perhaps I should try Cyberduck as well as restarting the phone and reinstalling?

- John

enigmanic

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
When I had used MMI's method, BossTool didn't install for me...it would crash. But as x666x pointed out, this could be because I had already ran out of space. I didn't think to uninstall some apps and try again. So let us know if you're able to install BossTool. I just used it with my phone (jailbroken with Nate's method this time) to free up some space and it worked great.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
I don't know. I just got home, so I'm going to transfer in BossTool, then I'll try out SSH and I'll let you know.

Okay, I uninstalled two apps and BossTool installed successfuly. X was right; the smaller drive (where my apps are) has 1MB of 266. Now, BossTool tells me that I should relocate the Ringtones and Wallpaper before the apps; is this right?

Also, any idea what's taking up so much space on the smaller drive? Is it the image uploaded to the phone during the jailbreak? (I used the Dev Team's method) If so, what's it file path so I can delete it?

- John

enigmanic

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
Okay, I uninstalled two apps and BossTool installed successfuly. X was right; the smaller drive (where my apps are) has 1MB of 266. Now, BossTool tells me that I should relocate the Ringtones and Wallpaper before the apps; is this right?

Also, any idea what's taking up so much space on the smaller drive? Is it the image uploaded to the phone during the jailbreak? (I used the Dev Team's method) If so, what's it file path so I can delete it?

- John
Awesome! Thanks x666x, for figuring out the problem! The path is: /var/root/media/softupdate

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Any confirmation on the Ringtones and Wallpapers before apps?

- John

x666x

Bronze
Jan 24, 2008
Sorry, just got out of there will be blood.

Anyway I symlinked everything bosstool would let me.

On my iPhone, will post more at my desktop.

iGlorious

Sep 6, 2007
Any confirmation on the Ringtones and Wallpapers before apps?

- John
I installed BossTool v0.35 from installer and moved Rigntones (I figured they're the most expendable it I lose something) and Fonts first. I think this is just to make sure the move works. It worked well and I went from 1 mb of 266 free to 88 mb free so I can start installing apps again.

Thans again for your guide on downgrading/upgrading ;)

iGlorious

Sep 6, 2007
I get the problem in Fugu - perhaps I should try Cyberduck as well as restarting the phone and reinstalling?

- John
hey John, how did you get around the Fugu problem? I've been having the same issue but I haven't tried Cyberduck yet. Did that solve your issue?

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Okay.. so Ringtones and Wallpapers were moved successfuly, however when I attempted to move the Applications, it did not tell me that they had been relocated. Apparently some were; Calculator, Finder, and BossTool disappeared from my Springboard.

Whether or not my accusation is correct, I'm going to blame this all on that jailbreak package from MMi. I'm now going to do the process again, but jailbreak 1.13 the manual way, from SSH and Terminal.

- John

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Problem. When I attempt to Restore I get an Error. Should I downgrade? Enter DFU mode?

- John

enigmanic

Silver
Jun 27, 2007
Problem. When I attempt to Restore I get an Error. Should I downgrade? Enter DFU mode?

- John
What kind of error are you getting? Whenever I do a downgrade from a jailbroken 1.1.3 to 1.1.1, I always do stock restore to 1.1.3 first. Then proceed with the downgrade process.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Nevermind. I tried again and didn't run into the error.

- John