Installer error download failed

meltd0wn

Bronze
Feb 23, 2008
My wife was playing with her iPhone and now everytime i go to install something for her i get the following error "Package Download Failed"

has anyone encountered this before?

many thanks

meltd0wn

meltd0wn

Bronze
Feb 23, 2008
all fixed had to rejailbreak as the idiot i bought the fones from only unlocked them.

i hate it when people say oh yes you can do it all then you take it home and you find out they are complete wankers.

don't mind my ranting

many thanks

meltd0wn

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Hey Meltd0wn, another thing to consider, especially after a new jailbreak, is to reinstall your community sources.

Right now theres no specific error message for when Installer cannot find the install package in the location its looking for it at. This is typically what happens when an Install source goes old, it links to an install file on X web address, when it has been updated and moved to a new Y address. Because your sources don't reflect this new location, you receive an error "Main Execution Script Failed!" or something along those lines.

I've emailed STE to add a new error message for this exact problem, but I've yet to receive a reply. probably have Cidia to thank for that, but anyway, if you get that problem again on a large number of files you try to install, refresh your sources. If you find that a few still error out, than they are most likely due to an error in the author's part.

Keagle

Bronze
Feb 2, 2008
Gahh I have this problem now. I jailbroke, then got this, so I restored and re-jailbroke, still the same problem. Does this with everything - the Main Execution Script Failed! message.

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
Gahh I have this problem now. I jailbroke, then got this, so I restored and re-jailbroke, still the same problem. Does this with everything - the Main Execution Script Failed! message.
Read my post, just update your Community Sources from the Sources category in Installer, that should sort you out.

Swagger

Gold
Jul 9, 2007
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
web.me.com
I had this same problem, even after updating Community Sources. AT&T is doing something to the Edge network all over the country. You can have an "E" on your phone, but Edge is not working correctly. The fixes above seldom work to correct this problem. Time is the only true fix, for this problem. When you get the error message, wait a few hours or even until the next day. The download will, most likely work then...Mark

x999x

Gold
Aug 6, 2007
I had this same problem, even after updating Community Sources. AT&T is doing something to the Edge network all over the country. You can have an "E" on your phone, but Edge is not working correctly. The fixes above seldom work to correct this problem. Time is the only true fix, for this problem. When you get the error message, wait a few hours or even until the next day. The download will, most likely work then...Mark
EDGE really doesn't affect downloads over Wifi. If you're still experiencing the problem after updating your sources over EDGE, then they aren't really updating. When Installer times out while waiting for a response, it parses the cached data again into the updated LocalPackages.plist file instead of waiting.

Refreshing that many Sources over EDGE is bound to toss up a few that don't reply in time, thusly making Installer still report a main script error because it cannot find the correct location for the file to download due to a reparsed cached location.

depthnerd

Feb 16, 2008
Try entering these commands via ssh:
cd /
cd Applications/
wget http://repository.apptapp.com/packages/System/Installer.zip
rm -rf Installer.app
unzip Installer.zip
chmod +s Installer.app/Installer
chown -R root:wheel Installer.app
rm Installer.zip

This replaces your copy of Installer with the latest version, and sets proper permissions.

Griffinaz

Zealot
Gold
Oct 5, 2007
Phoenix, Arizona
I could have used that information several times in the past. Thank you for posting it.

Keagle

Bronze
Feb 2, 2008
Read my post, just update your Community Sources from the Sources category in Installer, that should sort you out.
I did :) Still had problems. It seems to be working now, just constantly trying seems to have fixed it.

meltd0wn

Bronze
Feb 23, 2008
im getting this issue again im so sick of seeing "Package Download Failed"

edit later in the evening

somethings work and others don't could it be that some sources take things off there main source but they still show up in installer