Installer mess up! Help?

panda

Bronze
Mar 15, 2008
I was having problems with Installer (v382) giving the message "Package download failed; can't find host" when trying to install stuff, so...
1. by SSH, I copied the Installer package (from /Applications in the iPhone) into my laptop then deleted it from the iPhone
2. Installed an earlier Installer version (v293) via SSH.
3. Rebooted the phone and Installer was there giving the message "Insufficient Permissions. Installer was not installed correctly. It should be run as root:wheel. We will continue but please remember that it may not function correctly." Couldn't install anything. I rebooted the phone several times but no go.
4. Deleted that Installer again from iPhone then re-installed the saved version (v382) from the laptop via SSH. Rebooted iPhone.
5. Now, Installer again ays when launching "Insufficient Permissions: Installer was not installed correctly. It should be run as root:wheel. We will continue but please remember that it may not function correctly." But also, under 'About', it says version 3.11! Plus, when trying to install any package it says "Error: Main script execution failed!" ARGH!

I'm guessing that my SSH installation was a faulty method.
What does root:wheel mean?
Can I execute that correctly via SSH to install Installer via SSH and get it working properly again?
If so, how?

Many thanks in advance for any help offered.

michael180

Zealot
Gold
Jun 14, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA
moderntimes.com
I was having problems with Installer (v382) giving the message "Package download failed; can't find host" when trying to install stuff, so...
1. by SSH, I copied the Installer package (from /Applications in the iPhone) into my laptop then deleted it from the iPhone
2. Installed an earlier Installer version (v293) via SSH.
3. Rebooted the phone and Installer was there giving the message "Insufficient Permissions. Installer was not installed correctly. It should be run as root:wheel. We will continue but please remember that it may not function correctly." Couldn't install anything. I rebooted the phone several times but no go.
4. Deleted that Installer again from iPhone then re-installed the saved version (v382) from the laptop via SSH. Rebooted iPhone.
5. Now, Installer again ays when launching "Insufficient Permissions: Installer was not installed correctly. It should be run as root:wheel. We will continue but please remember that it may not function correctly." But also, under 'About', it says version 3.11! Plus, when trying to install any package it says "Error: Main script execution failed!" ARGH!

I'm guessing that my SSH installation was a faulty method.
What does root:wheel mean?
Can I execute that correctly via SSH to install Installer via SSH and get it working properly again?
If so, how?

Many thanks in advance for any help offered.
Since you have already jailbroken the phone, you know how easy it is. I would suggest that you restore, and rejailbreak. If you use ZiPhone you will immediately have BSD installed. You should get familiar with iAppCat http://iappcat.com/ there you can create your own list of apps, install it into your sources, and save yourself a great deal of trouble.

Good luck

panda

Bronze
Mar 15, 2008
Since you have already jailbroken the phone, you know how easy it is. I would suggest that you restore, and rejailbreak. If you use ZiPhone you will immediately have BSD installed. You should get familiar with iAppCat http://iappcat.com/ there you can create your own list of apps, install it into your sources, and save yourself a great deal of trouble.

Good luck
You're quite correct. I've just been doing all I can to avoid rejailbreak, reunlock etc, but it's avoiding for totally silly reasons like losing scores in games and some settings in some apps plus having a hopelessly unreliable wifi connection at this time. I guess we could call it laziness though. I do appreciate the feedback, thanks. I'll probably end up doing that and start afresh.
I do know iappcat.com but hadn't realised that I can actually make a totally personal apps list - and I guess that's all that will update when sources refresh as well. That's a definite. Thanks.
Now... my kingdom for a decent wifi setup...

michael180

Zealot
Gold
Jun 14, 2007
Santa Cruz, CA
moderntimes.com
You're quite correct. I've just been doing all I can to avoid rejailbreak, reunlock etc, but it's avoiding for totally silly reasons like losing scores in games and some settings in some apps plus having a hopelessly unreliable wifi connection at this time. I guess we could call it laziness though. I do appreciate the feedback, thanks. I'll probably end up doing that and start afresh.
I do know iappcat.com but hadn't realised that I can actually make a totally personal apps list - and I guess that's all that will update when sources refresh as well. That's a definite. Thanks.
Now... my kingdom for a decent wifi setup...
yes, iAppCat is great. And it does update when you update sources. :cool: