Installer refresh gets stuck after a few seconds!

trexxcrap

Oct 12, 2007
Yeah it kinda sucks like all of a sudden one day it stopped refreshing and gets stuck about half way through...and it always does an automatic refresh so i have no way of deleting the "Bad" source i guess.

I've searched the forums and cant really find the answer im looking for.

Can i delete sources from the computer through like iBricker or something?

Like always thanks for the responses

Ace4261991

Silver
Jun 18, 2007
that happened to me. it gets stuck when its trying to refresh a source that isn't working and it will try for a long time until it moves on to the next one. so just let it sit and refresh and it should refresh after a while just sit there and make sure the screen doesn't dim or go to sleep because then itll stop refreshing. and then when it refreshes what i did was delete all the sources that i didn't use to try and make it refresh faster but it still didn't work then i went and deleted all of them one by one until i found out which one was causing the problem. it seemed to be the modmyifone.com one that was holding it up because once i deleted it it was refreshing within 10 seconds. then i installed a few more sources and my refresh rates are perfect. i even reinstalled the modmyifone one (i think i had a bad one) try this out maybe itll work

trexxcrap

Oct 12, 2007
that happened to me. it gets stuck when its trying to refresh a source that isn't working and it will try for a long time until it moves on to the next one. so just let it sit and refresh and it should refresh after a while just sit there and make sure the screen doesn't dim or go to sleep because then itll stop refreshing. and then when it refreshes what i did was delete all the sources that i didn't use to try and make it refresh faster but it still didn't work then i went and deleted all of them one by one until i found out which one was causing the problem. it seemed to be the modmyifone.com one that was holding it up because once i deleted it it was refreshing within 10 seconds. then i installed a few more sources and my refresh rates are perfect. i even reinstalled the modmyifone one (i think i had a bad one) try this out maybe itll work
yeah i thought that and i left it over night and it still didn't refresh!

Bone

Zealot
Gold
Feb 11, 2008
I actually had the same problem and like ace said, I also had to just edit all of my sources manually till I got rid of all the ones causeing problems. It seems luke it might take a bit, but it will save lots of trouble later.

trexxcrap

Oct 12, 2007
I actually had the same problem and like ace said, I also had to just edit all of my sources manually till I got rid of all the ones causeing problems. It seems luke it might take a bit, but it will save lots of trouble later.
I could do that but like i said it automaticly refreshes as soon as i go to installer and yes i have installer 3.0

Ace4261991

Silver
Jun 18, 2007
when you let it refresh overnight did you turnoff the auto sleep? because if it goes to sleep while installers refreshing itll stoop refreshing

Feb 26, 2008
As far as deleting goes, you can remove them manually via:
~/Library/Installer/PackageSources.plist
It is an XML file where you can edit, and remove as needed.

This issue is because the way Installer is currently designed.
As of right now -- I don't know if it will change in the future -- Installer is designed in such a way that it tries to fetch each of the source you've listed in your sources list. If one of them is down / slow, Installer will wait until the timeout limit is hit before it moves on to the next one. This can be very problematic if you have many sources added as there is no way to verify which of the source is down, or simply being slow.

I am working on a solution which may in turn combat against this; where a small "spider" similar to search engine spider goes to fetch different sources on a regular basis, and then update the records locally on the server. This way, users can pick and choose only those packages that are interested to them, and create personalized installer source from that. Based on my own performance test, I am now downloading only two sources (AppTapp Official, which cannot be removed unless you use script or edit xml, and my personalized one). This cuts my downloading down to 5% of all sources I would've needed to download, and reduce the chance of running down'ed repos where I'd be forced to wait.

The site I'm working on is http://repo.sc and it is available for anyone to use. Because the server requires a way to identify who you are, and provide you with packages selected by you, there is unfortunately a mandatory registration. You can, however, browse around the site, and see whether or not what you want is being tracked prior to registering though.

PS: Yes, I've read the rule where it said no advertising. I believe that this doesn't fall under that problem, as I believe the response I'm providing addresses the above mentioned issue, and there is no commercial gain out of this. I'm also more than happy to stick around to address questions that arise as result of this. This is not an automated program spamming the site with links, and the post will not be repeated on other sites (so there's no duplicate info to sap your PR). However, if the moderators deem otherwise, please feel free to delete this post.