Installer

Oct 26, 2008
How exactly does Installer work, especially in relation to Cydia? What's the difference between the two? And what does Installer really do? I mean, I read about Text Twist being on there, but it's clearly not. Are all the programs on there only there if updated from time of installation?

cliffeman

Zealot
Gold
Oct 13, 2007
Feenix, Amizona
Installer and Cydia essentially work the same way. In the 1.x.x. firmware days, Installer was what you used to install 3rd party apps. Now since 2.0, Cydia was what was bundled with the jailbreak. It wasn't til 2.0.1 that Installer was bundled optionally. Since Cydia was the main repository for apps. Installer just didn't seem to be as popular as the pre 2.0 days. You'll notice there are some apps that are on both. And there are some apps that are only on Installer.

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Well, there's really only one difference. Cydia, like the AppStore, works wonderfully. Installer, however, is horrible.

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Yeah Installer does suck
-Always crashing and freezing up
-Not much variety of apps, but thats probably cause theyre in Cydia

Cydia is like the appstore's rebel cousin:p

yes i don't even install installer on my phone when i jailbreak now because it doesn't come close to cydia... cydia has all the new apps and themes and its updated basically every day... and installer doesn't have all the apps and it just isn't well managed anymore. half the apps on there don't even work when downloaded...

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
yes i don't even install installer on my phone when i jailbreak now because it doesn't come close to cydia... cydia has all the new apps and themes and its updated basically every day... and installer doesn't have all the apps and it just isn't well managed anymore. half the apps on there don't even work when downloaded...
I KNOW LOL!:p Installer was a beast in its early days but now its just a washed app looking for some attention:p

smittylube

Bronze
Feb 19, 2008
Silicon Valley
Great ... I read this as I was rebooting my JB, cydia & installer install.

How do I remove installer?

Steve

24trepid

Silver
Jan 13, 2008
Florida
Yeah, I only have Cydia installed too.
Installer is WAY BEHIND !

Mar 30, 2008
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
Is their a team or a person who runs installer:eek:
-Cause ya know how could installer be so far behind, maybe the "owner" should just pass the torch to someone who can run it ya kno ;)