InstallerApp For Mac Installs Jailbreak Apps Without Jailbreaking Your iPhone

skipere

Bronze
Jul 14, 2007
I found this article from Gizmodo just want to share it .

InstallerApp For Mac Installs Jailbreak Apps Without Jailbreaking Your iPhone
Ripdev's InstallerApp makes installing third-party jailbreak applications on your iPhone slightly easier, by eliminating the need to jailbreak your iPhone at all. You just need to pay $7 for the privilege.

The process works by installing an app onto your iPhone that's not quite jailbreaking, but is enough to allow those not-quite-official applications to get on there. If you gave us the choice of paying $7 or running jailbreak on our phones—which is fairly easy as long as you have some tech knowledge—we'd choose real jailbreak
http://i.gizmodo.com/5182795/instal...ilbreak-apps-without-jailbreaking-your-iphone

sstalk

Bronze
Mar 25, 2009
Lakeside, CA
Thanks for the information.

I do not know how to Thank someone. So I just replied to the prior link. Thanks again for the information.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
I would tend to believe Engadget's later post, calling BS on the original series of posts on this, and stating that the first thing this software does is jailbreak your phone.

I wouldn't fancy touching this one at all if that's correct, which I think it is, as that means you are trusting your jailbreak to Ripdev, rather than the Dev team and Pwnage Tools etc.

When considering trusting Ripdev for your jailbreak, you may want to take a glance at this 'Stay Away from Kate' thread - as that app is also from Ripdev ...

Last edited by a moderator:

Bilal

Bronze
Sep 25, 2007
Yeah ripdev is not to be trusted. I wouldn't use this.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
Yeah I posted this already.

Last edited by a moderator:

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
Unless I missed other duplicate threads, I'm surprised more peeps haven't chimed in on this app. The Kate thread's bulk is mostly ancient with recent posts showing no problems removing it. I would venture that this is the risk you run installing an app that affects core functionality. This new InstallerApp seems to be an ellegant way of installing "other" apps without disrupting the normal functionality of the iPhone and syncing with iTunes. Has anyone tried this app and found it useful for installing a video recorder or mms app?

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
This new InstallerApp seems to be an ellegant way of installing "other" apps without disrupting the normal functionality of the iPhone and syncing with iTunes. Has anyone tried this app and found it useful for installing a video recorder or mms app?
Not sure what you mean by 'without disrupting the normal funtionality of the iPhone ...' - when we now know the first thing this app does is jailbreak your phone. I would say that is disruptive. And you're jailbreaking via an unproven source - as opposed to the very tried and trusted Pwnage / Dev Team methods ...

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
Not sure what you mean by 'without disrupting the normal funtionality of the iPhone ...' - when we now know the first thing this app does is jailbreak your phone. I would say that is disruptive. And you're jailbreaking via an unproven source - as opposed to the very tried and trusted Pwnage / Dev Team methods ...
If it allows me to continue to use the iPhone normally with iTunes I would say that does not disrupt my normal use. Is that how it works? "Disruptive" might be subjective.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
If it allows me to continue to use the iPhone normally with iTunes I would say that does not disrupt my normal use. Is that how it works? "Disruptive" might be subjective.
Every jailbreak I can recall for the iPhone since 1.x days has always allowed you to continue using iTunes just fine (as long as you don't choose to update / restore and wipe the JB). So there is no new / different aspect there.

For me, the only new / different thing involving iTunes is that you can now use iTunes to install both App Store and jailbreak apps - which for me is a 'who cares' element as I'd much rather install apps wirelessly anyway. And again, the trade-off for this is you are entrusting your jailbreak to an untried and (in my view) untrusted source ...

Lincoln

Gold
Aug 11, 2007
Point 1: No. It's impossible to install non-AppStore apps on the iPhone without being jailbroken.

Point 2: Don't use this, even you believe it installs the apps without jailbreaking. Just take a look at RipDev's track record (Kate).

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
Every jailbreak I can recall for the iPhone since 1.x days has always allowed you to continue using iTunes just fine (as long as you don't choose to update / restore and wipe the JB). So there is no new / different aspect there.

For me, the only new / different thing involving iTunes is that you can now use iTunes to install both App Store and jailbreak apps - which for me is a 'who cares' element as I'd much rather install apps wirelessly anyway. And again, the trade-off for this is you are entrusting your jailbreak to an untried and (in my view) untrusted source ...
Then the jailbreak you perform does indeed interfere with normal iTunes use. You just don't happen to use the disrupted feature. The InstallerApp folks claim you can continue to do everything normally with your iPhone and iTunes including the App Store.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
Point 1: No. It's impossible to install non-AppStore apps on the iPhone without being jailbroken.
Don't think anyone is disputing this.

Point 2: Don't use this, even you believe it installs the apps without jailbreaking. Just take a look at RipDev's track record (Kate).
That Kate thread read just like all the other jailbreak horror stories I've read: some freaked, some restored, some uninstalled, some liked it.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
The InstallerApp folks claim you can continue to do everything normally with your iPhone and iTunes including the App Store.
Yes, and ... that would be different to traditional jailbreak in ... no way at all. Again, this is NOT something new. You have always been able to use the App Store and iTunes normally after jailbreaking ...

Bilal

Bronze
Sep 25, 2007
Then the jailbreak you perform does indeed interfere with normal iTunes use. You just don't happen to use the disrupted feature. The InstallerApp folks claim you can continue to do everything normally with your iPhone and iTunes including the App Store.
What disrupted feature are you talking about? Is it the restore or update feature?

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
Yes, and ... that would be different to traditional jailbreak in ... no way at all. Again, this is NOT something new. You have always been able to use the App Store and iTunes normally after jailbreaking ...
Ah, it sounded like you were saying you couldn't do that with other jailbreak methods. Thanks for clarifying.

You can install the client app without putting anything on the phone. Can you tell me what is better/unique about InstallerApp over other solutions, if anything? It sounded like it was providing a less obtrusive way to side-load apps.

joe

Gold
May 5, 2007
What disrupted feature are you talking about? Is it the restore or update feature?
Sorry for the confusion. It sounded like patrickj could not use the App Store with other jailbreak methods. That is apparently not the case.

I tried jailbreaking when I first got the iPhone but it was in its infancy and I wasn't too thrilled with the results. Now there are a few apps I would love to use and if a new method allows jailbreaking to be "safer" than other methods then I'm willing to investigate.

Bilal

Bronze
Sep 25, 2007
Jailbreaking is pretty darn safe and easy for that matter. Just like on a pc you cant just go around downloading everything you see. A general rule of thumb is to research any apps you plan to install or install those from trusted sources like Big Boss or Saurik.

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Sorry for the confusion. It sounded like patrickj could not use the App Store with other jailbreak methods. That is apparently not the case.

I tried jailbreaking when I first got the iPhone but it was in its infancy and I wasn't too thrilled with the results. Now there are a few apps I would love to use and if a new method allows jailbreaking to be "safer" than other methods then I'm willing to investigate.
Joe - honestly, I think 'safer' is the very last word most of us here who've done a fair amount of jailbreaking would associate with this app. The safest and most trusted JB methods are those provided by tools like Pwnage, Quickpwn etc.

Any app that 'puts something on the phone' and does so outside of the *single* approved by Apple route for this, is full of **** to then say or imply it is 'less disruptive' or somehow akin to not really jailbreaking the phone.

johnd

May 3, 2009
Maryland
Please guys help me hour here .. :( I want to install installer app. My phone is not jailbroken. Its activated through AT&T . Can you guys give me some advice if I call I can install the installer app . Do u guys think its going to work? Am I be able to download themes,games,apps etc. without jailbreak my phone. I feel very unconfertable to jailbreak my phone. I don't think I will ever going to do it..
Please guys help me out here..
THnkx
John

patrickj

Genius
Gold
Sep 2, 2007
Austin, Tx
ipadinsight.com
Please guys help me hour here .. :( I want to install installer app. My phone is not jailbroken. Its activated through AT&T . Can you guys give me some advice if I call I can install the installer app . Do u guys think its going to work? Am I be able to download themes,games,apps etc. without jailbreak my phone. I feel very unconfertable to jailbreak my phone. I don't think I will ever going to do it..
Please guys help me out here..
THnkx
John
A few basic things here:

If you run Installer app it will jailbreak your phone.
You do not need to be jailbroken to install apps and games on your phone - the App Store is full of over 35,000 apps - paid and free - to choose from.
You will not be able to use themes on a stock (non-jailbroken) phone - Apple does not allow it