Installing Fennec (firefox) on the iPhone

jleu777

Apr 15, 2009
I managed to open the dmg file for the mac version of Fennec (the mobile version of firefox) on my pc.

The files contained a Fennec.app folder- the same time of folder.extension all the iPhone apps have so i tried copying this folder to the apps directory on my ipodtouch (jailbroken of course). Apparently the installation process isn't that simple. :laugh2:

http://i39.tinypic.com/10h954z.jpg

What can be done to get this installed on an iPhone/i.p.t? Or is it even possible with these files?

shutter13

Evangelist
Gold
Jan 8, 2009
why not just get the mobile firefox app from cydia?

jleu777

Apr 15, 2009
Its not that great. Buggy, and not nearly as nice as fennec. Mozilla has no plans to release it for the iPhone though, even if Apple allowed non-safari browsers. Check out some vids for fennec. The myfox app, if thats what you are referring to, doesn't come close.

DrDaxxy

Apr 17, 2009
This version of Fennec was compiled for Mac OS X and Cocoa and not for the iPhoneOS and Cocoa Touch. Also the iPhone/iPod touch runs on a different processor architecture than the Macs. Fennec won't run on the iPhone/iPod touch.
It is, however, possible to port Fennec, but I don't know of any project doing that.

styfle

Zealot
Gold
Mar 31, 2008
This version of Fennec was compiled for Mac OS X and Cocoa and not for the iPhoneOS and Cocoa Touch. Also the iPhone/iPod touch runs on a different processor architecture than the Macs. Fennec won't run on the iPhone/iPod touch.
It is, however, possible to port Fennec, but I don't know of any project doing that.
I was about to say that. According to their website, fennec only works for the desktop and for Nokia N810 Internet Tablet running OS2008

jleu777

Apr 15, 2009
Thanks for the responses!

I was afraid it would take a port to do it. Oh well. Hope somone picks it up!

Mozilla has bassically said they wouldn't do it even if Apple were to allow it in the app store. They are concentrating on putting it on phones running linux and i heard windows mobile also.