Insurance

corby

Feb 9, 2010
State Farm has a personal articles policy that covers iPhones and is really REALLY cheap. I had a $300 coverage on my old 3g and it cost me $33 a YEAR! That is about $2.50 a month or so. AND, the policy covers busted screens(or anything else).

canamera

Zealot
Gold
Dec 28, 2009
Toronto Ontario, Canada
I cant believe someone would actually consider insurance for a phone, any phone!

I wonder how many people getting iPhone insurance, have life insurance? Which one is more valuable?

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe app

kenneth

Zealot
Gold
Aug 19, 2008
Texas
^^^ you obviously don't run auto insurance either. It's there just incase you have an accident. Some people never use it but when they need it it's a big money saver. Just like the iPhone insurance. Just wait until you have a slight drop and shatter your screen. Then what? Go back to a crap phone or pay $400-600 for a new phone. So yes like OmG really!?! People actually have phone insurance?!?

Zanthe

#apple
Gold
Aug 9, 2007
Seems to me that what most people want is accidental damage coverage. The rest is covered under the one year Apple warranty.

If you can get accidental damage coverage for $9/year you'd be foolish not to. I really doubt an insuracne company is going to do that but then I could be wrong. Those numbers just don't add up. Insurance companies are not in businesss to cover our carelessness for $9/year (or $33 for that matter). Read the fine print is best advice.

canamera

Zealot
Gold
Dec 28, 2009
Toronto Ontario, Canada
^^^ you obviously don't run auto insurance either. It's there just incase you have an accident. Some people never use it but when they need it it's a big money saver. Just like the iPhone insurance. Just wait until you have a slight drop and shatter your screen. Then what? Go back to a crap phone or pay $400-600 for a new phone. So yes like OmG really!?! People actually have phone insurance?!?
Wow buddy... No need to go haywire on yourself! Do what you think is right for your property.... I personally worry about insurance for more important things in life like my Home, my tenants, my cars, and my life! To be honest with you, my phone, along with every other personal belonging of mine is covered under my home insurance... Would I use it if anything happened to my phone? He'll no! I'm not about to have my premiums go up because of a Phone!

Now, if I lived with mommy and daddy, and didn't have any other priorities... Then, maybe insurance for a stupid phone would be alright! Let me guess... You must also have laptop insurance, iPad insurance, and maybe even iPod insurance if you still use one!

In the 20 years I've owned phones, I've spent more than $600 for one, and have never had insurance... Not about to start now with an iPhone!

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe

dfwgirl

Bronze
Jun 29, 2010
I guess each insurance company has different personal articles coverage for different states. I have State Farm, and a couple of people on this forum have said that they have coverage on their iPhones with this company. However, when I called, I was told that they don't cover the iPhone because it would be too much of a liability; and they would most likely receive several claims. I guess I'll be usning Square Trade.

iblastoff

Bronze
Jul 20, 2010
Toronto, Canada
iblastoff.ca
um its illegal to NOT have car insurance. and car insurances do not have a nearly 50% deductible.
huge difference. i guess you also get future shop/best buy 'extended warranty' as well? you fail.

canamera

Zealot
Gold
Dec 28, 2009
Toronto Ontario, Canada
um its illegal to NOT have car insurance. and car insurances do not have a nearly 50% deductible.
huge difference. i guess you also get future shop/best buy 'extended warranty' as well? you fail.
Thank you for understanding my point! I was beginning to think I was the only one who thought insurance for a cell phone is ridiculous!

Mind you... To each his own!

Sent from my iPhone using iCafe

EverythingApple

Evangelist
Gold
Jul 28, 2010
North Jersey
There are mire options available. There's SquareTrade, Worth Co, Safeware, PhonePhix, AppleCare, and MobileProtect. I'll have to compare them later. I'm torn between which one, if any.

Most, but not all, of these require enrollment w/in 30 days of purchase. Do you know if that is 30 days from the ship date, receive date, or purchase date?

iMeth

Jul 17, 2007
baby oahu
I have life,health,dental,auto,home, all types of insurance. Yet no iPhone 4 :( I'm bummed.. There is no way, I'm willing to pay over $5 a mo for it either... I'll check w/ state farm 2morrow.

H

herrys

You can take the assistance of a professional consultant or can visit various cheap mobile phone insurance plans. The professional consultant will see all your requirements and according to your budget and requirements he suggest you the effective handset insurance plan to you. Some companies take extra charge too for the people who are insuring their mobile phone for the first time.

bams50

Contributor
Bronze
Nov 23, 2007
Had to laugh when I picked my 4s up at the Apple store. The sales kid told me about Apple Care and told me I had to buy it right at the time of purchase, or I couldn't get it later. I instinctively laughed and asked him if I was actually buying a timeshare! He asked what I meant and I told him I was just old enough to know that any time a sales person tells you you have to buy anything RIGHT NOW or you'll miss out, that's a huge red flag that it's a deal for the seller, not the buyer:) He sheepishly grinned, and we continued on.

I thought about insurance. I upgraded because my 3gs did fall and cracked the glass; but it was 20 months old. I got full subsidy for being a long-term customer, and it was time for an upgrade anyway; so I wouldn't have needed the insurance anyway. What little I looked into had the fee plus deductible, and most don't cover loss. After running the numbers, it makes no sense to have the insurance, since I get a new one every two years anyway.

On the silly comparison with car insurance- unless you have a loan, you are never required to insure the vehicle. Insurance is to protect others in the event you damage them or their property. Personally I pay cash for cheaper cars (under $5K) and take the risk, carrying only liability. The savings, combined with careful driving, put me WAY ahead of the game financially. So it is with the iPhone: the money I have saved over the years on insurance combined with being careful with the phone have saved me way more than the cost of a new phone, even at full retail.

Remember worst case scenarios- we're talking hundreds of dollars as opposed to thousands for a car. Add to that the fact that if you ruin or lose the iPhone you don't NEED it like a car, you can just get any phone that will work cheaply. All that adds up to, no wasting money on phone insurance for me:)

Kenny65

Apr 15, 2012
I was waiting for the iPhone5 to be announced because I had all intentions of upgrading from my 3S at that time, thereforee saving $100. I'm very happy with my "new" iPhone 4S 64GB. I have one question. I've been afforded 30 days to purchase the insurance plan at $100 for a 2 year coverage. I don't remember spending that much in '09. Can anyone shed any light on this and just what is covered by this insurance? Thanks ppl!

Jill1228

Bronze
Dec 23, 2009
Cedar Rapids, IA
The reason that it is now $100:
It now gives you up to two incidences of screw ups! Before, if your kid dropped your iPhone in the bathtub, you would be out of luck. (and thinking about selling your kid to the lowest bidder and/or adoption) Now you can get it replaced up to 2 times and just pay $49
Straight from the Apple website:
Every iPhone comes with one year of hardware repair coverage through its limited warranty and up to 90 days of complimentary support. AppleCare+ for iPhone extends your coverage to two years from the original purchase date of your iPhone1 and adds up to two incidents of accidental damage coverage, each subject to a $49 service fee.2

Reactions: leggz2di4